What's new

OTT examination

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
OK folks, this has been a pretty big topic lately and I just got hit with a box that brought the point home. Got a box of Tubos in and decided to open one up...mainly because of all the recent discussion I've seen where some people have mentioned just tossing their sticks in the humi without really looking at them. I had posted that I didn't understand this and that I ALWAYS checked my sticks before putting them away. So in came the Tubos and I thought...well, after saying so forcefully that I'd never not check incoming stock, I guess I'll crack just one open...you know...just fro fondling purposes.:halfgrinw

Well, good thing I did. Mold. White...fuzzy...spots of mold.:sadcry: Ended up opening all the tubes and about a third of them had some amount of mold. None of it was horrible, none in the feet, and I was able to wipe it off, but it was disappointing. Have to say I'm very happy I decided to open these though. Would have been much more upset had I opened one months/years from now to find it completely ruined.

SO. Do you check your stock OTT? Is your policy different for any certain types of smokes, say Tubos for instance?

*disclaimer! Please, no PM's as to the vendor. The smokes are fine and I've notified the vendor so that he is aware of the issue. Thanks!*

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
I always check mine...Not thoroughly though. I usually take a good look at the top row, then lift up the top row to glance at the bottom row. I'm only looking for the usual cracked feet or mold.

1f1fan

Toast!
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
I always check them out. If getting a cab i will lift the entire wheel out, if getting a dress box I'll inspect the top row, close the box, turn it over and then carefully open the bottom (facing up) to inspect the bottom row. Of course I always stick my nose as close to the cigars as possible to enjoy the heavenly aroma :popeyes:

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Every cigar that enters my storage gets a once over. Mainly it's to check for mold and beetle holes, but also I just like admiring each one.
It's nice to look at each one and compare their construction.
This goes for fivers, dress boxes, cabs, and tubos.
For tubos, I open each one and give it a quick look and carefully seal it back up.
I've always done this as long as I can remember with NC and Habanos.

Poni

BoM Oct 05
Rating - 100%
55   0   0
I can't imagine getting a box and being able to put them in the humi with opening them and taking a whif.