What's new

Oust fan

Rating - 100%
52   0   0
I have posted this in another thread in the past, but it deserves being reiterated.

Disposable batteries off gas toxic chemicals including potassium hydroxide and hydrogen!

This happens through the chemical reaction that is continuous, and can not be prevented. It builds up pressure in the battery and many batteries explode or discharge toxic fluids toward the end of their life cycle.

I dive with a rebreather and we have gone through all of the data and understand the importance of not having power sources in the air we breathe. Additionally, I personally do not want those chemicals in an enclosed environment, like a wineador, to be able to permeate products that I will eventually set ablaze and consume.

I have never been one to preach what is right or wrong, rather I believe in sharing knowledge and letting you decide. With that said, I will never power a circulation source in my humidors with batteries.

I am sure you can go down to radio shack and ask them to put together a simple plug, resistor and connection to power a larger computer fan and run the wire out the back drain hole or across the seal of the door. Or better yet, if there is enough interest, I bet Ron at Avallo could whip up a simple kit that could have one or two fans and en external plug at minimal cost (but not sure on this last one).

Hope that helps,

TG
This makes sense, but how are you measuring humidity in a humidor/coolador/wineador? I'm assuming this principal would apply to the same batteries used in Digital Hygrometers?
I'm curious about this now as well

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
So my question is... I you have a fan running 24/7 is that a bad thing? I have a cheap 5 dollar desktop fan that runs on 2 D batteries and is kind of big. If I run that thing 24/7 in a 20q coolidor could that ever be bad?

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
A lot of time has passed on this thread and I was just curious if anyone had any other suggestions on fans? I just bought an Indulgence Humidor for cigarsinternational and looking to get the air flowing a little better.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I was torn over Oust fans or computer fans. I went the computer fan route, but an easy one. Instead of buying individual loose fans and figuring the power supply thing and plug compatibility out, etc, I picked up one of the laptop cooling mats ($10 at Big Lots) that has two fans and had a USB plug. Bought a cheapie 120VAC transformer to USB plug and a digital timer for about $15 and my wineador cycles 4 times per day, 10 mins per cycle and circulates the air just fine. All in was under $30 and it wasn't at all complicated. Knock wood, but it's been reliable as well.

Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I was torn over Oust fans or computer fans. I went the computer fan route, but an easy one. Instead of buying individual loose fans and figuring the power supply thing and plug compatibility out, etc, I picked up one of the laptop cooling mats ($10 at Big Lots) that has two fans and had a USB plug. Bought a cheapie 120VAC transformer to USB plug and a digital timer for about $15 and my wineador cycles 4 times per day, 10 mins per cycle and circulates the air just fine. All in was under $30 and it wasn't at all complicated. Knock wood, but it's been reliable as well.
Ooo didn't think of that. Thanks for the info!