What's new

Over Humidity other issues

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been wondering.

I've read alot of things about the danger of cigars drying out, and a lot of cures as well.

However, the only negative thing I've read about overhumidifying is Mold and Possible bulging/cracking. But what about flavour? Does overhumidity affect the flavour like underhumidity does? Will the cigars lose flavour? Can they be brought back to their same condition as before, unlike dried out cigars?

Shrody234

Jimmy
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
You answered your own question...over humidity can cause mold. If you have mold it completely ruins the cigar and needs to end up in the trash. I would say that affects the flavor! The good news is, as long is there is no mold, you can bring an over humidified cigar back to normal. Leave it out of your humidor for a couple days and in the mean time invest in some Boveda packets to help regulate the humidity. They come in different humidity options, I prefer 69%.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find overly wet cigars to develop an acrid taste early in the smoke similar to when a cigar starts to sour near the end of a smoke.

I use 65% Boveda packs and my hygrometer usually reads around 63%.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You answered your own question...over humidity can cause mold. If you have mold it completely ruins the cigar and needs to end up in the trash. I would say that affects the flavor! The good news is, as long is there is no mold, you can bring an over humidified cigar back to normal. Leave it out of your humidor for a couple days and in the mean time invest in some Boveda packets to help regulate the humidity. They come in different humidity options, I prefer 69%.
The question was aside from mold problems. Meaning overwet cigars with no mold. Sorry for your confusion. And I appologize if I did not make it clear. I do not have overhumidified cigars. The topic was just for discussion. Thanks for the contribution.

Rating - 100%
45   0   0
I usually find cigars that are too wet have more muted flavors and are more harsh. I used to keep mine at 70. I've since dropped to 65-67 and noticed a big difference. I'm thinking of moving to 63-65.

I just pick up better, smoother, more nuanced flavors when they're drier.