What's new

PA Beer Laws

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Where I grew up we bought beer at the distributors and had to buy by the case. The distributor was also not open on Sunday. You could buy sixpacks at the bars and carry them out but it was pricey and the max you could carry out was 2 sixpacks at a time. Usually the bar would just let you buy as much as you wanted and let other patrons carry the extra sixes to the door for you.
Some places in PA are more like VA where you can buy beer in convenience stores.

jcgoldner

Jan '06 BoM
Rating - 100%
63   0   0
We have a very archaic system in PA when it comes to all alcohol. It really sucks. All non-beer alcohol is sold only at PA State Stores. With beer it basically goes this way, the place where you buy by the case you can't buy a single or 6-pack. The place where you can get a single or a 6-pack you can't buy a case. Make sense? NO!!!!

How about this one, we still pay an 18% Johnstown flood tax enacted back in 1936 to help pay for cleanup of the Johnstown flood of that year. The tax been there for so long that they can't get rid of it because they don't have an answer to how they would replace the lost revenue. The system needs a total overhaul!

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
You Eastern states and your weird booze laws.
There's not a whole lot of places to smoke around here, but damnit if I wanna get tore up after church I can go to a liquor store ( a privately owned one at that) and buy beer in a dizzying amount of configurations anytime on a Sunday!*
:headroll:
I did notice my local mega-giant-super mart has a new policy of not selling single cans/bottles of beer. But as far as I know, that ain't a state thing.

*Between the hours of 6am and 2am.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
How about this one, we still pay an 18% Johnstown flood tax enacted back in 1936 to help pay for cleanup of the Johnstown flood of that year. The tax been there for so long that they can't get rid of it because they don't have an answer to how they would replace the lost revenue. The system needs a total overhaul!
Not to get too far offtopic, but until recently everybody who had a phone line was paying a "temporary" tax to help fund the Spanish American War.
The Spanish American War! You know, the six month war in 1898 where Teddy Roosevelt helped capture Cuba.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I hear ya....in Jersey you can't get beer or liquor at the supermarket/convience store but you can get it normal hours at one store not run by the state