What's new

Padrón 1964 Anniversary Hermoso - natural

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
This is a somewhat long review of the Padron 1964 Hermoso, with the natural wrapper. This is a cigar I have smoked a lot, but is my first time writing a review. Any thoughts, complimentary or critical, are welcome!

It’s a slightly windy day, in the low 50’s outside, and I’m enjoying this cigar with a cup of espresso and steamed milk. As always with Padróns, I use a punch instead of straight cut. I like the open draw of a Padrón, but find it a little too loose if using anything but a punch. This cigar is very well-formed and packed. A light squeeze shows a firm but not hard texture, there is a very slight tooth on the wrapper, and a nice brown hue with some light mottling. Not many veins, just one really and it isn’t too thick. As usual for me, the body and foot have a slight scent of barnyard and mud. The cold draw has a bit of coffee bean and a tiny bit of black pepper. Time to light it up!

After toasting and lighting I taste primarily oak, but that turns to hickory after the first couple of puffs, and is soon joined by a savory coffee note. I’m also getting a little nuttiness and cocoa in there, hinting at hazelnut. The finish also carries the same smoky wood and roasted coffee bean. After a few more puffs, the sweetness creeps more into the palette. Reminds me of marzipan, maybe. Eventually that dessert also makes its way into the finish, still dominated by the wood and coffee. As I creep through the first third, the nutty cocoa shows itself a little more, almost as if getting to know the other flavors at the party better. Hickory and coffee are still getting most of the attention. As I near the second third, though, that sweet background flavor begins to move forward and meld with the coffee, and suddenly reminds me of Nutella. Not quite, though, as it has more hazelnut and darker cocoa flavors than Nutella. Along with the newfound sweetness, the coffee combines with an earthy dried fruit, sort of a dark roast with hints of raisin. The retrohale shows a sugary warm wheat bread flavor, and is very strong.

The first chunk of solid ash falls off right at the start of the second third, and the party guest is starting to take over the room. However, the coffee is now alternating with bread pudding, and the fruit is gaining an even more earthy quality. The hickory makes a couple of appearances, as the earthy fruit begins to mix with a little leather. I’m gonna call it “leatherberry.” “…Follow me for more leathery dessert recipes!” Another thing I’m greatly enjoying, there is no bitterness to this cigar. I taste very little pepper too, although that could be due to the fact that this cigar has rested a couple months in my humidor. Just before the halfway point, I lose a bit of the cocoa but sweet hazelnut still clings, complementing the leatherberry. A little almond paste comes along, riding shotgun with the hazelnut. The retrohale still reminds me of fresh bread out of the oven, but now it has spices like some kind of holiday bread. On the palette, the leather eventually dies away leaving a dark dried fruit, melding somewhat with the almond. Almost like an almond cream cake filling, with raisin and an earthy nutmeg thrown in. This has also taken over the wood and coffee flavors, and is now the life of the party. I’m starting to think I should try pairing this with amaretto! The finish at this point is mostly hazelnut, stretching all the way to the next puff. Pepper starts to grow in strength, but does not overtake the other flavors. If anything, it’s helping tie them together. This second third is definitely more complex, but all the flavors play together in a delicious harmony.

As if on cue, another chunk of ash falls off just before the last third. I have to take off the band to enjoy the rest of the 4” cigar, and as usual these Padrón labels come off easily without threat of tearing the wrapper. In the final third, the fruit takes on a burnt note, which is not at all unpleasant, and is now enveloped in a more buttery texture. Oak and rich fudgy cocoa are now mixed back into that flavor as well. The retrohale has definitely become more spicy, but still reminds me of fresh warm bread. On the finish, hazelnut is still strong but is now competing with the mild pepper for dominance, and a bit of sweet coriander joins in. Toward the end of the cigar, the dried fruit and raisin slowly disappear, and I’m left with buttery cocoa as well as sort of a burnt marzipan, and I’m loving it. The retrohale here at the end has become much more peppery, so much that it makes my eyes water, but still has that bready taste. At this point the finish is starting to taste like damp earth, in a good way.

With just an inch left, the cigar is starting to get hot and I taste mostly charred oak, not at all unpleasant but it could get that way fast. This is where that signature open Padrón draw comes in handy, as I can control the rate of combustion and not let the nub of this beauty get too hot. Behind the oak, the palette is still giving me dark cocoa, and I’m only just starting to feel some heavy nicotine. Nothing a banana or some sugar can’t fix when I’m done. The cigar ends with oak and cocoa, and a delectably smooth earthy finish.

Overall this was an excellent smoke, full of rich tobacco flavor and complex notes of almond, hazelnut, coffee, cocoa, earth, and wood. A buttery texture coats the palette, and a spiced bread quality consistently comes through the nose. Final smoking time was an hour and thirty-five minutes, and I’m left with a taste of hazelnut for the rest of the morning.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a somewhat long review of the Padron 1964 Hermoso, with the natural wrapper. This is a cigar I have smoked a lot, but is my first time writing a review. Any thoughts, complimentary or critical, are welcome!

It’s a slightly windy day, in the low 50’s outside, and I’m enjoying this cigar with a cup of espresso and steamed milk. As always with Padróns, I use a punch instead of straight cut. I like the open draw of a Padrón, but find it a little too loose if using anything but a punch. This cigar is very well-formed and packed. A light squeeze shows a firm but not hard texture, there is a very slight tooth on the wrapper, and a nice brown hue with some light mottling. Not many veins, just one really and it isn’t too thick. As usual for me, the body and foot have a slight scent of barnyard and mud. The cold draw has a bit of coffee bean and a tiny bit of black pepper. Time to light it up!

After toasting and lighting I taste primarily oak, but that turns to hickory after the first couple of puffs, and is soon joined by a savory coffee note. I’m also getting a little nuttiness and cocoa in there, hinting at hazelnut. The finish also carries the same smoky wood and roasted coffee bean. After a few more puffs, the sweetness creeps more into the palette. Reminds me of marzipan, maybe. Eventually that dessert also makes its way into the finish, still dominated by the wood and coffee. As I creep through the first third, the nutty cocoa shows itself a little more, almost as if getting to know the other flavors at the party better. Hickory and coffee are still getting most of the attention. As I near the second third, though, that sweet background flavor begins to move forward and meld with the coffee, and suddenly reminds me of Nutella. Not quite, though, as it has more hazelnut and darker cocoa flavors than Nutella. Along with the newfound sweetness, the coffee combines with an earthy dried fruit, sort of a dark roast with hints of raisin. The retrohale shows a sugary warm wheat bread flavor, and is very strong.

The first chunk of solid ash falls off right at the start of the second third, and the party guest is starting to take over the room. However, the coffee is now alternating with bread pudding, and the fruit is gaining an even more earthy quality. The hickory makes a couple of appearances, as the earthy fruit begins to mix with a little leather. I’m gonna call it “leatherberry.” “…Follow me for more leathery dessert recipes!” Another thing I’m greatly enjoying, there is no bitterness to this cigar. I taste very little pepper too, although that could be due to the fact that this cigar has rested a couple months in my humidor. Just before the halfway point, I lose a bit of the cocoa but sweet hazelnut still clings, complementing the leatherberry. A little almond paste comes along, riding shotgun with the hazelnut. The retrohale still reminds me of fresh bread out of the oven, but now it has spices like some kind of holiday bread. On the palette, the leather eventually dies away leaving a dark dried fruit, melding somewhat with the almond. Almost like an almond cream cake filling, with raisin and an earthy nutmeg thrown in. This has also taken over the wood and coffee flavors, and is now the life of the party. I’m starting to think I should try pairing this with amaretto! The finish at this point is mostly hazelnut, stretching all the way to the next puff. Pepper starts to grow in strength, but does not overtake the other flavors. If anything, it’s helping tie them together. This second third is definitely more complex, but all the flavors play together in a delicious harmony.

As if on cue, another chunk of ash falls off just before the last third. I have to take off the band to enjoy the rest of the 4” cigar, and as usual these Padrón labels come off easily without threat of tearing the wrapper. In the final third, the fruit takes on a burnt note, which is not at all unpleasant, and is now enveloped in a more buttery texture. Oak and rich fudgy cocoa are now mixed back into that flavor as well. The retrohale has definitely become more spicy, but still reminds me of fresh warm bread. On the finish, hazelnut is still strong but is now competing with the mild pepper for dominance, and a bit of sweet coriander joins in. Toward the end of the cigar, the dried fruit and raisin slowly disappear, and I’m left with buttery cocoa as well as sort of a burnt marzipan, and I’m loving it. The retrohale here at the end has become much more peppery, so much that it makes my eyes water, but still has that bready taste. At this point the finish is starting to taste like damp earth, in a good way.

With just an inch left, the cigar is starting to get hot and I taste mostly charred oak, not at all unpleasant but it could get that way fast. This is where that signature open Padrón draw comes in handy, as I can control the rate of combustion and not let the nub of this beauty get too hot. Behind the oak, the palette is still giving me dark cocoa, and I’m only just starting to feel some heavy nicotine. Nothing a banana or some sugar can’t fix when I’m done. The cigar ends with oak and cocoa, and a delectably smooth earthy finish.

Overall this was an excellent smoke, full of rich tobacco flavor and complex notes of almond, hazelnut, coffee, cocoa, earth, and wood. A buttery texture coats the palette, and a spiced bread quality consistently comes through the nose. Final smoking time was an hour and thirty-five minutes, and I’m left with a taste of hazelnut for the rest of the morning.
Captain:

Eloquent words, I'm a new member here, but have been smoking cigars for around 40 years and have never ever tasted that much flavor in a cigar, I envy you, but a beautifful symphony of tastes described in almost a Baroque manner, reminiscent of Proust's novel on the scent of his lovers armpits on waking, yet as hilarious a Molier's send up of Madam Bovary's nipples when he compared them to ripe hazelnuts warming in the sun

Capn_Jackson

A Razorback lost in Texas land
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Captain:

Eloquent words, I'm a new member here, but have been smoking cigars for around 40 years and have never ever tasted that much flavor in a cigar, I envy you, but a beautifful symphony of tastes described in almost a Baroque manner, reminiscent of Proust's novel on the scent of his lovers armpits on waking, yet as hilarious a Molier's send up of Madam Bovary's nipples when he compared them to ripe hazelnuts warming in the sun
Thanks! If I ever read Madame Bovary, I must’ve forgotten that part haha! I don’t always get so many flavors, but this particular cigar is one that always keeps me coming back, and the flavors pronounce themselves so strong on my palette. Another time I had this one straight out of the shop, and it didn’t get nearly as pronounced of flavors. I’m going to try writing a few more soon, and hope I can pick out what I’m tasting in those sticks as well as I did this one. It was much more difficult than I thought it would be, honestly, to sort of organize and write it all out. Glad you enjoyed, and here’s to those lover’s armpits!!

Also, should we commission a blend called Lover’s Armpits? I think there could be something there...

Rating - 100%
17   0   0
But was it actually his lovers armpit he smelled? :)

Great review Cap'n. I am not good at identifying cigar flavors and rarely read reviews. But yours was enjoyable to read.

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
"...full of rich tobacco flavor and complex notes of almond, hazelnut, coffee, cocoa, earth, and wood. A buttery texture coats the palette, and a spiced bread quality consistently comes through the nose."

I loved the review, Cap. But I am rather envious of your palate. God gave me a ceramic tongue, and epoxy nasal passages. :cigar: