What's new

Palate Preparation

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you go about preparing your palate for tasting a cigar? Is there away you can tweak taste sensitivity?

I find if I smoke the same cigar on 5 different days, I have surprisingly different experiences, depending on many factors. Sometimes, my palate is just completed "locked in" and flavor is maximized and I burn the damn thing down to the nub but this is relatively rare. I have not found any indicators for when this is about to happen and most of the time my experiences are ho-hum or just decent. I would love to be able to play around and create better smoking conditions to actually be able to maximize my enjoyment. Any suggestions are welcome. Thank you!

When it comes to deciding when I should smoke that "special" cigar I would LOVE to have an idea when it would taste best. I have had really rare and/or expensive cigars that I couldn't taste and that pisses me off :LOL:

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
While smoking something fizzy will help cleanse your palate. You want to avoid high sugar drinks and anything with strong flavors. I also find hot tea freshenes the palate.

In the long term I understand SLS, an additive in just about anything that needs to foam, will affect your taste buds. Look for SLS free toothpaste or just use a baking soda/coconut oil combination to brush your teeth.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You can try drinking a small bottle of non-flavored sparkling water before smoking. If you have fresh ground coffee beans you can open them up and take a couple of huge whiffs.

One thing I found is that using a water pick and cleaning your mouth at least once a day with just plain water helps. I also avoid mouthwash until bed time. Mouthwashes that have enamel building or teeth whitening ingredients can easily change your sense of taste.

Also be cognizant of the smells in the area where you smoke. The cleaner the air the easier it is to have the aroma add another element to the smoke.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While smoking something fizzy will help cleanse your palate. You want to avoid high sugar drinks and anything with strong flavors. I also find hot tea freshenes the palate.

In the long term I understand SLS, an additive in just about anything that needs to foam, will affect your taste buds. Look for SLS free toothpaste or just use a baking soda/coconut oil combination to brush your teeth.
Thanks, never heard of SLS, I'll have to take a look and might consider getting a water pick, thanks guys!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like lemon juice between cigars. I rinse my mouth with it, gargle, then follow with water. Works well for me.