What's new

Palm or Pocket PC

Slammer

arf arf
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Looking to purchase one of these in the near future and I am kind of leaning towards the PPC. Does anyone here have any experience with either or both. It looks like the Palm has more apps availaible and is easier to use but the PPC has more power and seems to be catching up an the apps side of things. Any input would be great.

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
The only input I can provide is that I just purchased a Palm Treo 600 which is a Palm and cell phone in one. I have found it to be great so far. It is Internet ready, has email capabilites and syncs with your Microsoft Outlook applications like Calendar, Contacts, etc.
I really like it so far and it is very user friendly. Verizon Wireless has a current special where you can get it for $150 with a wireless account.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It just depends on what you want to do with it. And before you plunk down the cash, think really long about it. I've purchased both types. My personal fav is the Dell Axim. The one I have is the X3. Built in wi-fi, nice screen, Windoze based. The only reason I went with it is that I can use some GIS software on it which I can't on the Palm. The Palm is cheaper, in some respects, but overall a good machine. But some high-end Win software doesn't have a Palm counterpart.

At the very least I would get a unit with built-in wireless. It's nice to be able to snag something from online, and you'd be surprised how many unprotected wireless networks exist in this world! And for not too much more money you can get something like the T-mobile Hotspot subscription good at any Starbucks and most airports.

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I went with the PPC when I bought one a few years ago. It's outdated now so I don't use it much and am considering a new one. I'll probably stick with the Windows OS since I do a lot of Word and Excel both at home and work. I use the PPC to synchronize my computers including my Outlook messages and contacts. Since it's a windows to windows transfer of info. it's pretty seamless. I know that Palm has spreadsheet and word processing programs that are compatible with Windows but they do have to go through some sort of conversion so I figured why mess with it. Two other things that made me go with PPC were the color screen and the availability of a handwriting recognition program that actually learns your hadwriting rather than you having to learn grafitti. At the time of my first PDA purchase Palm wasn't offering either of those options. They probably do by now.
Just my .02 cents.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I am also looking for a palm. I thaught it my help me out with college. Any recomendations on a basic model. I really don't need to many fancy features just a easy way to organize all my classes and projects, HW ect. And Internet access would probably be helpful. Any recommendations?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've used several Palm OS devices (Palm, Sony, Handspring) and then I got a PocketPC/Windows Mobile device. What a difference! I've got a Dell Axim X50v. Aside from not having a phone built in like the Treo, there's not much this little baby can't do. I use it as an MP3 player, a personal video player (convert DVDs to WMV files and watch 'em at the gym, on the treadmill), basically...it's replaced my laptop!

-Wolfy

floydp

Working Stiff
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I have a PPC, and older Dell Axim X5. I've had it a year and a half. Also have an older Palm. Use the X5 every day and it does what I need it to do. Read books, as an MP3 player and address book and contacts. I added FM radio to it as well. I've dropped it many times and keeps on going. Very nice screen too. So I'd suggest the PPC over the Palm just because I am more accustom to the windows interface. I think both will do anything you'd need it to do...

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I just got a Palm E2 after much internal struggling about which platform to go with. I finally chose this because no one else in our district has a PPC and if I want to be able to support them well I need the same thing they have. Also this one has the multi-media player and SD slot so I can use it for either wireless or an SD card for songs/movies. And it was a lot less expensive than the PPCs.

chipslave

Gonads and strife...
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I just got a PPC from work, an IPAQ with bluetooth and wireless. I love it. Like people have said before, it has basically replaced my laptop. I have more games and apps than I know what to do with. If anyone is in need of some apps and/or games to try let me know...

Viper139

The Bead Man
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
I am on my fourth Ipaq with the PPC system. As has been said above I like the seamless use of word and excell without any type of conversion. I also use the bluetooth extensively. I have a gps interface that I use on the golf course that gives distances to the green and keeps score and histories as well. The gps unit hangs on my golf bag and talks to my Ipaq via bluetooth.