What's new

Partagas Churchill Deluxe 10/98

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Partagas Churchill Deluxe 10/98

Reader's Digest Version:
Tight draw that opened after 1/3 and allowed serious tobacco flavor followed by bean flavors, most noticeably cocoa. Partagas spiceness was noted thorought but with a toned down twang. Strong flavors. Great smoke.

James Michner Version:
Picked up some 98 partagas churchills and some 97 punch churchills and was eager to drive them around the block. Had some 02 punch churchills that were some of my favorite smokes so couldn't wait to try something with a little more age.

The Partgas had a nice chocolate brown wrapper. A little bit rough. Although it lit up easily the draw was tight. Functionable but tight. Really didn't get a good draw until about 1/4 or 1/3 of the way through. Then the draw opened up as well as the flavors.

There was an overwhelming taste of a dark musty tobacco. A little bit spicey but paired well with the solid tobacco flavor. I mentioned the tone down twang before but not sure if that describes it well. Where it wasn't a capital TWANG as defined by a fresh PSD#4 or BBF. It was a lowercase twang ... definatley cuban ... definately twang. (Need to take a creative writing class or read more jazznut.)

Additional flavors developed (or were noticed) after the halfway point. Mostly a light cocoa. Sort of like the dusty chocolate powder that would cover truffles or other baked goodies.

Strong all the way ... at least 3/5 by MRN standards ... maybe a 4? Probably a 3 with the primary tobacco flavor (which I prefer lately).

Strong flavors. Great smoke. Cannot wait to smoke another.

nb: I had a interesting scotch with this - Glen Garioch 21. Sweet and floral with a bit of the speyside maltiness. Great scotch; so-so pairing. Need something heavier or sweeter. Cask stregth or unfiltered if a scotch or a port to provide a little sweetness to counter the tobacco.

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
N2Advnture said:
Excellent review Geoff!!!

What was the smoke time on that puppy?
Over 90 minutes ... closing in on 2 hours.

One note I forgot to make... the aroma of the smoke was super! Others commented on it.