What's new

Partagas Lusitanias

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These came to me by way of a 10 count box I purchased. For those that track box codes, the box code on this was AUB JUL 12. I had the fortune of trying these for the first time when I was in Cuba, in November of 2013. A generous BoTL gave me one and I thoroughly enjoyed it. I wasted no time in grabbing a box not soon after I flew home.
Granted this is all a fairly big spoiler leading in, I hope you still enjoy the review.

Nose:
A really great nose to start out here. A mixture of nuts and light cedar.

Construction:
The Partagas Lusitanias measures 7.64” (194mm) by 49 ring gauge and is officially marked as a double corona vitola.
The Lusitanias has a long production history dating back pre-1960. Until 1976 the vitola was 7.24” (184mm) x 50 ring gauge. They are available in a 25 count dress box and a 50 count cab. In 2006 the 10 count dress box was added to the available line up.

Flavor:

First Third
Right up front the Partagas Lusitanias starts out with that definitive sweet Cuban tobacco taste. There’s also notes of hay, and hints of grass. The sweet tobacco develops into some complex creaminess, and the hay becomes more pronounced as the first third progresses.
It’s a very subtle first third but extremely savory.

Middle Third
The nuts that I picked up in the nose show up in the second third. Still quite savory and although the flavors strength is quite light, the flavors blend together to be extremely complex.

Last Third
Still extremely complex going into the final third. The hay that was quite pronounced in the first third is almost undetectable by the final third.

Burn/Draw:
Excellent burn which surprised me given the significant length. The cigar held the ash well. I did have to purge just before the final third and relight. I attribute that to the cool weather I was smoking in. Total smoking time was 2 hours and 40 minutes. I feel like I could have slowed it down to almost 3 hours because I was enjoying the flavors so much.

Value:
A single Partagas Lusitanias, if you can find them, will range from $17 – $22. The 10 count dress box comes in at approximately $155. If you’re really wanting to stock up, the 25 count dress box is roughly $342. For the collectors that can’t get enough, you can step up the 50 count box setting you back around $655.
Once I smoke through my 10 count box I will almost certainly be picking up a 25 count box. Given how much flavor the Partagas Lusitanias delivers, I think the value is excellent. Although the price point is well into the premium end, I think it’s worth it.

Final Word:
If you’ve been paying attention in the review up until now, it’s pretty obvious that I fell in love with this cigar from the first time I smoked it. Partagas is one of those brands for me that always delivers. The Lusitanias really seems to be the flagship cigar for Partagas, at least as far as I’m concerned.
Although priced well into premium territory, I think this is an amazing cigar that you deserve to treat yourself with.

Link to review with gallery:
http://cigarfederati...agas-lusitanias

Rating - 100%
39   0   0
Thanks for the Review! Ive smoked one with some serious rest and it was heavenly, may have to seek out some fresh ones for comparison.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
I smoked one from 2008 that was also gifted to me by a great friend. Wowzers, maybe one of the best smokes I've ever had. Wish I could get more '08's, but I'm with you, the Lusitanias will always have a place in my humidor!

mwlabel

BoM July '13
Rating - 100%
84   0   0
I smoked one from 2008 that was also gifted to me by a great friend. Wowzers, maybe one of the best smokes I've ever had. Wish I could get more '08's, but I'm with you, the Lusitanias will always have a place in my humidor!
This makes me extremely excited to smoke the one Joel generously gifted me.
I think this might have to be my graduation smoke.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I remember my first Lucy.....about 10 years ago and it was a cigar that kept me interested even til this day. They can be a bit costly but what you get in return is well worth the price of admission.

Jfire

BoM 9/9' 9/11' 8/12'
Rating - 100%
391   0   0
It might be time for me to light up my 2x a year Lusi. And see how they are progressing. Btw just a few years ago you could get a 50ct cab for 470ish. Sighhhhh prices have shot up.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Good review and information. Lots to learn. I smoked one of these that had been aged 7 years and it was amazing. Partagas has so much flavor that makes it so much more interesting than most sticks. The stick I smoked also had a very distinctive orange peel and leather flavors and carried a very distinct CC aroma. This review makes me crave another. Thanks!

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Box code on the one I smoked was "BUT Jun 12"
3hrs flat and even though I dont usually like smokes this long it did not disappoint and I was never bored (Watching hockey playoff game last month). Perfect write up!!

Clint

Clint
Rating - 100%
206   0   1
These are the crown jewel of the Partagas line. So much smoother and complex than the much touted PSD 4, in my humble opinion.
....Thanks for th review!

Rating - 100%
129   0   0
Nice review. You have definitely made my decision tough now, as I have been trying to decide on this and the PSD4 for my next box order. I grabbed a 3 pack of PSD4's to try, and they are definitely box worthy IMO. Decisions decisions :banghead:

sofc

I hate E and Chef
Rating - 100%
276   0   0
Nice review. You have definitely made my decision tough now, as I have been trying to decide on this and the PSD4 for my next box order. I grabbed a 3 pack of PSD4's to try, and they are definitely box worthy IMO. Decisions decisions :banghead:
Note even close for me. Lusis are much much better than PSD4s.