What's new

Partagas Seleccion Privada No. 1 --OSU OCT 00--

havanaphile

Banned
Rating - 75%
4   1   0
One does not hear too much about this cigar, due to its small production, and the shadow it lives in, that of the Partagas 8-9-8 Varnished. The box I had was from the La Corona factory, and was from October of 2000. Unlike most dress boxed cigars, the lid is much thicker, almost twice as thick. In addition, a yellow ribbon spanning the 13 cigars on top holds the cigars in place, fastened by a small brooch of what appears to be lead. It is a unique and pleasing sight to see, like no other, an antiquity from another millienium. I can only hope that they do no eleminate this beauty.

I saved this box for about two years due to its date, because many cigars from 99-00 never have seemed to come out of their sickness, and I wanted to like the first one out of the box, and not waste a single one, however, my eternal patience has paid off.

I saw that the cigar had a bit of liegero from the foot, so I knew that the cigar would be anything but mild. Upon lighting, it had some cedary flavors, intertwined with some cinnamon and well aged strong tobacco. It had a little bit of a firm draw, never becoming too tight. Power and smoke are two things that this cigar did not lack. As it progressed, I picked up hints of chocolate, and the flavor of oranges. After the half-way mark, the power increased greatly, and that raw peppery Partagas spice y la flor del tabaco de Cuba took over, far more concentrated that the Partagas 8-9-8's I have had. Far more concentrated than any Partagas I have ever had. While the draw did not improve until I kneaded the cigar around the band after the cigar was half done, it was not impossible to smoke. All in all, it was very enjoyable, and proof that something good, something strong with liegero could come out of this time period.