What's new

Partagas Serie D #2 EL 2003

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Partagas Serie D #2 EL 2003

Simply put, I liked this cigar. Alot. Classic spicey tobacco flavors.

More details: On the first draw I said to myself in my best Homer Simpson voice, "Hmmmm Partagas." I believe that one of the more recognizable flavor profiles is that of the Partagas Serie D. Partly because it is quite distinct and partly because of the popularity of the PSD#4. A staple of anyone's collection or smoking experience.

As it was for mine. The PSD#4 was one my first cubans and perhaps the single stick I smoked the most. Then moving on to other Big 5 labels and then into lesser known labels, which is what I've been discovering lately as I pass from novice to intermediate (probably where I am know) on the way, someday, towards connaiseuer.

The reason for all the history and blah blah blah is that I haven't had a PSD#4 is quite some time so I was eager to spark up a PSD#2. It is a big brother to the #4. Same ring size (50) and more than an inch longer. The flavor is much like the spicey tobacco flavor of the #4. Perhaps just a bit more muted. But just a bit. I think this blend benefits from the longer size because the sharp spicey flavor of the first half was still there in the second half but with a background of an almost dark bitter chocolate sweetness... not unlike a maduro.

It's at this point I would draw a distinction between the closely related #2 EL and #4 and their more distantly related cousin ... the PSD#3 EL ( a personal favorite). The #3 has more of dark sweetness that the #2 just hints at Perhaps its due to the #3s very dark wrapper. Much darker than the #4 and darker than the #2.

Whereas the #2 EL is not in the same league as the #3 EL it is, nonetheless, a fine cigar. A step up from the #4 since it provides more flavors and a longer smoke for those that want more than just a robusto.

(Sidenote: To accomany the cigar I had a Cardhu with just a wee splash ... followed by a black coffee.)

Next week I'll try to got to one of the PSD#1 ELs I have sitting around...

Ironman

Master Baby Maker-Feb BoM
Rating - 100%
22   0   0
Sounds very nice Geoffrie, thank you for the review :smt033=P~

Ironman

Rating - 100%
30   0   0
very nice review indeed, I know, these are really good now, and I can only imagine how these will be years from now.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I get the impression from the remaining #2's I have that they will benefit greatly from a nice long nap, maybe a year or two. I think the #3's kicked ass but I smoke one of the #2's about every 2 months and the differences are becoming very distinct. About the time they've really come around, I'll be out!

Barry