What's new

Peeling, brittle wrappers

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Veteran's Home of Wyoming, Buffalo, Wyoming
Anyone else almost always have a problem with aged Cigars, even stored for long periods at 65% rh, have badly peeling, brittle wrappers?

At 65% I really don't understand why it happens so frequently.

Just cut a 2008 ER and the wrapper peeled badly immediately and was difficult to repair with glue as the wrapper was extremely brittle.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
101   0   0
That's one set back from aged cigars. But one cause I have found is a dull cutter might be time for a new one. If the cutter puts enough pressure on the cigar to bend the head before it starts doing it's intended job of cutting it could pop even a non aged cigar, good news if you have a xikar just send it back and they will send you a new one.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's one set back from aged cigars. But one cause I have found is a dull cutter might be time for a new one. If the cutter puts enough pressure on the cigar to bend the head before it starts doing it's intended job of cutting it could pop even a non aged cigar, good news if you have a xikar just send it back and they will send you a new one.
I have a Colibri Cut that I just got around last Christmas, so it really shouldn't be the cause

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
You have no idea how they where stored prior to your getting them? If they have been at 65 for 6 months maybe kick them up a bit for a while, If the cigars where really mistreated they may not be recoverable.

If the wrapper is completely peeling off I think they are a lost cause, all the oils in the wrapper have dissipated.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have no idea how they where stored prior to your getting them? If they have been at 65 for 6 months maybe kick them up a bit for a while, If the cigars where really mistreated they may not be recoverable.

If the wrapper is completely peeling off I think they are a lost cause, all the oils in the wrapper have dissipated.
That's definitely not good news at all.

Its an LGC 2008 ER i was given by a member of another forum that I would trust to have stored it at at least 62% though.

Have also had it happen with ones i personally bought from a trusted vendor that I have never had problems with recent production Cigars

This is a common occurrence for me with aged Cigars. Even if the wrapper isn't peeling badly, I still notice it being very brittle

icehog3

Outlaw Hockey Biker
Rating - 97.9%
55   1   0
I notice a lot of the aged cigar pictures you post show the wrappers to often be badly wrinkled. This can be a sign that the cigar was allowed to dry out too much at some point before being reintroduced to humidification. Being that you're getting them from so many different sources it seems unlikely to be the explanation for every aged cigar, but certainly could explain some of them.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's definitely not it then
Yeah, the cuts are always easy and clean and it only happens with 10+ year aged Cigars, and then only about 1/4 of the time I would estimate.

Smoking it now and just being very gentle with it and my repair stopped the peeling and it isn't cracking or flaking anymore, but I'm handling it very gently for sure

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I notice a lot of the aged cigar pictures you post show the wrappers to often be badly wrinkled. This can be a sign that the cigar was allowed to dry out too much at some point before being reintroduced to humidification. Being that you're getting them from so many different sources it seems unlikely to be the explanation for every aged cigar, but certainly could explain some of them.
I don't disagree, but some of that appearance in my pictures is due to the lighting in my room.

I have noticed it with recent production ones I post as well.

Very dull, yellow lighting in my room for some reason.

They don't really look like that in person

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
Yeah, I've heard that before but have never remembered to try it

This was going to be my suggestion. It works great and brings out some awesome flavors sometimes. Also helps to keep it from unraveling. Just be sure to not let the foot get wet though.

You might also want to search on the Aussie forum we belong to as well. Rob did an experiment a couple years ago with dunking it in water vs smoking one dry that opened my eyes to the benefit of this. Guessing it could be extremely helpful with some of the ancient stuff you have.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This was going to be my suggestion. It works great and brings out some awesome flavors sometimes. Also helps to keep it from unraveling. Just be sure to not let the foot get wet though.

You might also want to search on the Aussie forum we belong to as well. Rob did an experiment a couple years ago with dunking it in water vs smoking one dry that opened my eyes to the benefit of this. Guessing it could be extremely helpful with some of the ancient stuff you have.

Sent from my iPhone using that Tapatalk Thingy
Cool, thanks
I will look for that post over there

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yeah, i hope so.
Currently smoking a 10+ year old Diamond Crown and its peeling badly.

Iddly enough though, it isn't brittle at all. The peeled wrapper is nice and supple, unlike the others that were brittle

Very odd, as i don't believe its a construction issue and it is from a completely different tupperdor too

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
It’s likely your cutter. Even some expensive, high quality cutters just have a lot of heft and thickness and chop rather than slice.

In conjunction with wetting the cap, try using a new Palio cutter or a freshly sharpened pocket knife to shave to cap off your cigars for a while and see how that works for you.

Most of my cracked or peeling wrappers have come from the bigger, heavier cutters I own.

I hate how cheap feeling the new Palio cutters are but after going back and forth, there is a big advantage in my mind to using such a delicate, thin blade to do the slicing. One thick stem and the cutter blade gets a burr and is toast, but until that happens not much works better.

I use my xikar xi3’s (I have four) most frequently, and they work well too.

Just avoid anything that feels like chopping.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It’s likely your cutter. Even some expensive, high quality cutters just have a lot of heft and thickness and chop rather than slice.

In conjunction with wetting the cap, try using a new Palio cutter or a freshly sharpened pocket knife to shave to cap off your cigars for a while and see how that works for you.

Most of my cracked or peeling wrappers have come from the bigger, heavier cutters I own.

I hate how cheap feeling the new Palio cutters are but after going back and forth, there is a big advantage in my mind to using such a delicate, thin blade to do the slicing. One thick stem and the cutter blade gets a burr and is toast, but until that happens not much works better.

I use my xikar xi3’s (I have four) most frequently, and they work well too.

Just avoid anything that feels like chopping.
The feeling when cutting is very easy, like its slicing, not chopping, and the cut always looks nice and even and clean on the Cigar, so I don't really think that's the problem.

Plus, it never happens with recent production up to roughly 10 year old Cigars. Its only ones roughly at, or beyond that mark. The wrappers are also usually very brittle in spite of being in a stable rh, 65% tupperdoor for 6 months or longer.

ETA: the cutter is a Colibri Cut that I just got this Christmas and it got great reviews and should be a quality cutter and still nice and sharp after such a short period of use.

Plus, as I mentioned, it feels smooth and easy during the cut, and the cut looks sharp and clean on the cigar, and I have no issues with younger Cigars

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
The feeling when cutting is very easy, like its slicing, not chopping, and the cut always looks nice and even and clean on the Cigar, so I don't really think that's the problem.

Plus, it never happens with recent production up to roughly 10 year old Cigars. Its only ones roughly at, or beyond that mark. The wrappers are also usually very brittle in spite of being in a stable rh, 65% tupperdoor for 6 months or longer.

ETA: the cutter is a Colibri Cut that I just got this Christmas and it got great reviews and should be a quality cutter and still nice and sharp after such a short period of use.

Plus, as I mentioned, it feels smooth and easy during the cut, and the cut looks sharp and clean on the cigar, and I have no issues with younger Cigars

Then yeah… it’s just the nature of vintage cigars.

Also, Cameroon wrappers. But that’s a different thread!