What's new

Peppery / Spicey taste

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is it typical to get a slightly spicy or peppery taste when you get down to the last third of the cigar?

I'm assuming this has nothing to do with the blend of the tobacco because it seems to happen regardless of which cigar Im smoking.

Is it simply because all of the tobacco in the head of the cigar has picked up flavors from the smoke that has been drawn through the cigar for the last 30 - 45 minutes?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You smokin Nicaraguan blends?

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk
The last cigar I smoked that I noticed the taste on was a Don Rafael which I think is Dominican, I enjoy the spiciness I just wondered if that was common.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
There are a lot of blends that feature the different peppers, black, red, white etc and lots of new smokers confuse nicotine with a pepper rush, especially toward the end of the cigar. Do you also get a bit jittery or shaky? I normally find pepper in the beginning but often pepper is with you throughout the entire smoke. Can I recommend that you read the reviews of the cigar you intend to smoke, make notes based on the reviews and then, as you are smoking the cigar, compare the flavors you are finding to the flavors described in the review. It definitely won't be exact but you'll be surprised at how quickly you learn to describe flavors. This will help you train your palate and eventually you will know what flavors to expect from the cigars you purchase.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmmmm interesting points, I will read some reviews and see if I can pick out the differentiating flavors.

I do not notice any jitters, but you may be right about the nicotine because some of the high nicotine vape juices I've tried did have a certain intensity to them that is similar!

Thanks

Cigarth Vader

Official Jedi of BOTL.org
Retailer
Rating - 100%
99   0   0
Pepper is a very common flavor profile, usually found in stronger blends, especially nicaraguan and honduran tobacco, but can be present in nearly any style of cigar or blend.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this thread because I wondered about the peppery profile myself.
First, I think Boudie gave an excellent answer. Second, as a newbie I am not much smarter than a pile of flat rocks but I do have a theory that one might consider. Last week I smoked a very dry cigar circa 1997 that could have been disguised as petrified wood. Very harsh and quite peppery. I then smoked the same type that I had hydrated and the smoke profile was much smoother with very little harshness at all. Minimal peppery flavor.
So here is my theory and am willing to get beat up by everybody:
By the time you get to the last third, some of the moisture in the tobacco (of the last 1/3) has diminished from the heat of the draw during the previous half hour. Thus the temperature of the burn increases and the hotter burn temperature gives way to a harshness and what feels more like a peppery flavor. The only difference in my example earlier was the amount of moisture in the second cigar and it was much hydrated (just short of too moist to smoke). The difference in smoothness was like night and day. Because I am not used to smoking (newbie), my tongue and lips are very sensitive to harshness and that helped me to realize why dried out cigars are no good.
I hope this helps and if it doesn't....I meant well.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Cigar Tom

Please keep in mind that if a cigar gets as dried out as you describe it has lost all it's oils, in addition to it's moisture, so you may want to just toss them. You where basically smoking cardboard. I'd be surprised that re-hydrating that same cigar will do anything but make it burn slower and hence cooler so maybe some of the harshness did ease off. Yes, heat, harshness and nicotine can definitely be confused with pepper so you may want to learn to identify what the different peppers tastes like in a cigar. Remember black pepper is common on the tip of the tongue while red pepper is on the back of the throat and tongue while white pepper is commonly found on the roof of the mouth. It takes a while to learn to identify these flavors but I think you guys have a good start.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I caught this thread because I wondered about the peppery profile myself.
First, I think Boudie gave an excellent answer. Second, as a newbie I am not much smarter than a pile of flat rocks but I do have a theory that one might consider. Last week I smoked a very dry cigar circa 1997 that could have been disguised as petrified wood. Very harsh and quite peppery. I then smoked the same type that I had hydrated and the smoke profile was much smoother with very little harshness at all. Minimal peppery flavor.
So here is my theory and am willing to get beat up by everybody:
By the time you get to the last third, some of the moisture in the tobacco (of the last 1/3) has diminished from the heat of the draw during the previous half hour. Thus the temperature of the burn increases and the hotter burn temperature gives way to a harshness and what feels more like a peppery flavor. The only difference in my example earlier was the amount of moisture in the second cigar and it was much hydrated (just short of too moist to smoke). The difference in smoothness was like night and day. Because I am not used to smoking (newbie), my tongue and lips are very sensitive to harshness and that helped me to realize why dried out cigars are no good.
I hope this helps and if it doesn't....I meant well.
Cigar Tom

Please keep in mind that if a cigar gets as dried out as you describe it has lost all it's oils, in addition to it's moisture, so you may want to just toss them. You where basically smoking cardboard. I'd be surprised that re-hydrating that same cigar will do anything but make it burn slower and hence cooler so maybe some of the harshness did ease off. Yes, heat, harshness and nicotine can definitely be confused with pepper so you may want to learn to identify what the different peppers tastes like in a cigar. Remember black pepper is common on the tip of the tongue while red pepper is on the back of the throat and tongue while white pepper is commonly found on the roof of the mouth. It takes a while to learn to identify these flavors but I think you guys have a good start.
so smoking a cigar too fast may invoke this type of flavor change
Cigar Tom

im thinking that I maybe smoking too fast and over heating the cigar and ruining all the flavors!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
It sounds to me like you're talking about the flavor you get towards the end when you're basically reburning the tar that section had filtered. Try blowing out to purge it some. If it still carries that flavor then I usually let it go out.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It sounds to me like you're talking about the flavor you get towards the end when you're basically reburning the tar that section had filtered. Try blowing out to purge it some. If it still carries that flavor then I usually let it go out.
Yes this flavor Im wondering about only seems to creep in after I have removed the band to avoid smoking the paper

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have been teaching my tongue and brain to discern this peppery taste and just when they are starting to cooperate with me.....I now learn (from you) that there are 3 pepper tastes! Back to school for me. Thanks for the feed-back as I appreciate anything I can learn. You may be correct about the cigars (and probably are). However, I am up for the challenge to attempt to prove you wrong about my cardboard cigars. Please do not think I am trying to be cocky or want to win a pissing contest (I usually lose because my starting point is further back than most of my opponents). So in good faith I am willing to send you some 20 year old cigars that I have re-hydrated (will be ready by the end of next month) for you to judge.
They will have spent 3 days in the freezer (and refrig. to minimize temperature shock), but just for safety, keep em 100 feet from your prized cigars. Or maybe you would rather not bother with this drama and I will certainly understand. Either way....I appreciated your feed back.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My last message was in response to learning the additional pepper tastes from Boudie. Need to learn how to use this board.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Tom, all that counts is that you like them! The number of nuanced flavors you find in a cigar is only limited by your palate. The three peppers I discussed are pretty common but I've heard people talk about jalapeno, chili, bell pepper and the list goes on. We've also had the discussion on the board that flavors are often subjective, not an actual taste but a reminder of something, I swear I smoked a cigar one day that made me get up and look around to see if my long departed grandpa was sitting in his red rocking chair smoking a cigar and doing a crossword puzzle!

If you want to pick a date, a time and a cigar we can discuss the cigar as we smoke it either in a thread on the forum or as a vherf. But be warned I'm an old coonass so my palate is probably burned out from years of Cajun food and cheap wine!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds good and thank you for the invite. I will get back to you next month for this as I will need time to figure out what I want to smoke.....but it's a done deal.

Thanks again.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't much of the pepper taste in a cigar's blend stem from the ligeros in the filler?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't much of the pepper taste in a cigar's blend stem from the ligeros in the filler?
I really can't quantify whether any ligeros leaf tobacco was used in these cigars as all purchase records have been lost and am only recently getting people to do some taste profiles who actually know what they are doing.. As far as in relation to pepper taste, someone else will have to chime in because as a newbie...that question is way above my pay grade!

Glassman

Glass Gars Guns Garden
Rating - 100%
93   0   0
That's what I thought as well, but I was told recently in another thread regarding this (that might be worth searching for)that ligero is usually just the strongest priming and can produce the most pronounced flavors, but the flavors will vary based on the varietal and growing conditions. Some areas and varieties lead to more spice, others to other places on the flavor spectrum. Aging methods and blending can also affect the final outcome.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually did not know what ligero was until you posed the question. this shed some light on it: It came from wiki something.

In the context of a cigars, ligero is a unique leaf variety used in the blending process. Each cigar is made up of its own special construction, resulting in a unique blend and flavor that gives each cigar its own feel and enjoyment. In particular, the ligero leaf is part of the tobacco plant with direct exposure to the sun. This sunlight results in an enhanced effectiveness of the plan and a higher level of nicotine than is traditionally in other parts of the tobacco plan.

As a result, ligero tobacco is blended in to give more strength to the cigar. Cigar aficionados appreciate a precise blend in their cigars and top handmade cigars feature the finest quality tobacco, including ligero leaf. Each hand made cigar has its own composition, providing for differences in terms of the amount of tobacco, nicotine and filler in each cigar – the finest cigars are known for high quality, rich tobacco which is grown on top quality soil. A fine cigar begins with quality agricultural techniques and well tended to tobacco plants produce ligero cigars of the finest quality.

Certain varieties are known as double ligero for their extra tobacco (and nicotine) strength. These lines are particularly robust in their flavor and aroma, preferred by aficionados who prefer complex, rich and strong cigars. Dominican cigars often feature extra ligero, which has given them a fine reputation among certain cigar lovers, while a number of European blends also feature the leaf. You can purchase Ligero cigars in a wide variety of types, ranging from traditional European hand rolled cigars to the finest Central American varieties.

There is no single Ligero cigar, per se; instead, Ligeros refer to a type of cigars which are made by a number of producers. For individuals who prefer stronger, more robust cigars, look for double or extra ligero varieties to provide extra strength to your smoking experience.

In looking this up I came across a Rocky Patel (super ligero) cigar that uses it extensively to knock your socks off with the intense flavor profile which almost buried the needle on their chart:

Rocky Patel Super Ligero
4.43 out of 5Ratings28

Write a Review

Share:
Super Ligero....here to save the day!

When I first heard Rocky Patel was releasing Super Ligero, I half expected a cheesy band with some corny superhero theme. But I have to admit I was wrong. Dead wrong. After taking one for a spin, Super Ligero not only looks sharp, but its going to appeal to a ton of people.

Don't judge a book by its cover. I preach it a thousand times over. But this is one handmade you can safely pass judgement on from very first glance. The verdict? A bold son of a gun that packs one hell of a punch. Dressed in a dark, feisty Honduran Habano wrapper, Super Ligero isn't afraid to let its presence known. And once you pull back this veritable peel, the fruits that await inside are even more intense. Muy intense long-fillers from Nicaragua and Costa Rica produce a heady profile laced with oak, cinnamon, white pepper, and toasty tobacco. Growing more intense throughout...I suggest sitting down to full enjoy this one. Move over Edge....Super Ligero now wears the crown as Rocky Patel's strongest.

Rocky Patel Super Ligero was recently awarded with an awesome 90-rating, noting: "notes of black cherry are punctuated by spicy notes of crushed red and black pepper."

4.43 out of 5Ratings28

Hope that helps.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ligero is bliss. Nothing quite compares. I plan to pick up some LFD Double Ligeros and RP Super Ligeros soon! I saw the Super Ligero on CI but decided against some in favor of JDN. I want to see how sick I get by the end. LOL.