What's new

Perique

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Okay, got the first two periquey bunches in the hopper, at 15% (2.4g per 16g bunch).

Might be interesting. I've been bunching really strong the last few months, around 60-70% ligero (replacing the viso with ligero, basically), and no different in this case. So we'll see if 2.4g perique can cut through all that ligero. I have a hunch it will, because I can smell the stuff on my hands after the bunching sesh, like bbq sauce.

Lately my rolling thing is, I roll two a day, and then smoke them the next day. So if I get to wrapping these tonight we'll have the first report manana.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, got the first two periquey bunches in the hopper, at 15% (2.4g per 16g bunch).

Might be interesting. I've been bunching really strong the last few months, around 60-70% ligero (replacing the viso with ligero, basically), and no different in this case. So we'll see if 2.4g perique can cut through all that ligero. I have a hunch it will, because I can smell the stuff on my hands after the bunching sesh, like bbq sauce.

Lately my rolling thing is, I roll two a day, and then smoke them the next day. So if I get to wrapping these tonight we'll have the first report manana.
Can't wait! I would be very interested in hearing the results. It appears the leaf is quite moist. No? What does it smell like in the bag?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Smoked this thing this morning, with about 12 hours on it. Mind you, this is 4 leaves Dominican and Nicaraguan ligero, 1 leaf NHS, 1 Olor binder. Plus 2.5g perique. The perique took it from medium-to-medium-strong to straight-out strong. Stronger nic, stronger nasal hit, and a definite "something periquey in there." I liked it. I think it's a legit "condiment" addition. This was a killer blend already and just became a different killer blend. I'd be happy to give one of these to someone who said they liked strong cigars. I will definitely keep a perique blend in my lineup. Next I'll see what happens if I dial back the NHL and add a tad more perique.

Coincrazed

"Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum."
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'd love to try a cigar made of Perique..... But isn't Perique traditionally a cigarette tobacco?

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Did the Perique give it a "beach nut" taste? That's the first thing I noticed when it was fermenting in the barrels.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Did the Perique give it a "beach nut" taste? That's the first thing I noticed when it was fermenting in the barrels.
I may have tried Beech-nut flavored chewing tobacco forty years ago in high school, but I can't remember what it tasted like. I was probably too busy puking. This has sort of a fermented truffly cheesy winey aspect to it, both in the bag and in the blend. It's something you'd smell if you walked into a shoppe with a name like C'est Cheese.

Coincrazed

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I don't know from perique. Everything I know I got from the internet. But I try every new leaf that I can get my hands on, including this one.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perique
Yeah from what I know off the top of my head about Perique, it isn't a traditional cigar tobacco, but usually a pipe or cigarette tobacco that the Native Americans grew. That doesn't make it any less cool that you fashioned a cigar out of it though! I'm intrigued. Can I see a pic of the raw Perique Leaves?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Yeah from what I know off the top of my head about Perique, it isn't a traditional cigar tobacco, but usually a pipe or cigarette tobacco that the Native Americans grew. That doesn't make it any less cool that you fashioned a cigar out of it though! I'm intrigued. Can I see a pic of the raw Perique Leaves?
They are basically like small pungent little ligero leaves twisted up into ropes. I don't know where they started out on the plant or whether it's all the leaves either stalk-cut or primed. The fermenting makes them all dark. I untwist them to let them dry out and then fold or tube them as normal back into the bunch. Here's my bag:

Coincrazed

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
They are basically like small pungent little ligero leaves twisted up into ropes. I don't know where they started out on the plant or whether it's all the leaves either stalk-cut or primed. The fermenting makes them all dark. I untwist them to let them dry out and then fold or tube them as normal back into the bunch. Here's my bag:
So if they are all twisted up, do you only use them in the filler? Is there any way to get large whole leaves to make the wrapper? If you could possibly make a Perique wrapper the coolness factor would be through the roof, I'm telling ya bro.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
So if they are all twisted up, do you only use them in the filler? Is there any way to get large whole leaves to make the wrapper? If you could possibly make a Perique wrapper the coolness factor would be through the roof, I'm telling ya bro.
No way, unless you're talking a 2-inch x 24rg or something. I think it would be too strong to be good, anyway. Like I say, the wrapper is 110% of the flavor.

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
thanks for sharing - just ordered a half pound. Any notes on burn or placement ?
I pretty much did almost the full bunch routine, minus a few last seco-y layovers, and then tubed my 2.5 piece and slotted it dead-center. Didn't actually test the burn of the piece first; it just looked like dark-as-hell ligero. Plus it was kinda hard and crinkly after I dried it, so I didn't want it affecting the outskirts of the bunch in some unseemly way.

Dominican56

CRA #99997657
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Is that a WLT bag?