What's new

"Personal" Humidifier

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Last night, I was at a B&M and a customer was speaking with us about his humidor setup. He said he uses his fridge under his bar for his humidor and a "personal" humidifier that uses a bottle as the reservoir. The humidifier is electronic and he has it set to an electronic timer to go on every hour for a few minutes.

This sounded pretty cool until he told us of an error that caused him to rethink the whole setup. He said that he set it to go on every hour for a few minutes, but recently he set the on/off to random. He said he didn't really know what random meant and the instructions weren't clear, so when he opened the fridge yesterday there was condensation throughout, the humidifier was running and the bottle of water was nearly empty. He said the hygrometers were reading 99%.

I asked him if the cigars were ruined and he said he only has boxes in there, so for the most part no (some boxes were SLBs with no lids so maybe two cigars were damp).

Thought I'd share this with you. The humidifier seems like a cool thing (he said it has always worked well until the random thing).

funkejj

BoM December 09
Rating - 100%
255   0   0
I have a accumonitor in my humidor, I would not chance anything with something that is random and does not shut off at a predetermined humidity.

keinreis

BoM Oct '11
Rating - 100%
130   0   0
If I had a humidifier as a humidity source there is absolutely no way in hell I wouldn't be attached to something like an acumonitor. There is just too many ways for it to go wrong otherwise.