What's new

Pete Johnson's Comments Candela

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So folks, if you heard the interview that Pete Johnson did on Stogie Review, he was not happy that someone else decided to release as Candela wrapper cigar on the heels of what his buddy Dion Giolito did.

I posted a blog entry on this and I disagreed with Pete's stand on this. I'll post the link. In summary, Pete feels that Dion did something special with Candela and should have "had his time in the sun". He is upset that "someone else" came along and did a Candela.

Here is my blog post....

1) The day cigar manufacturers try to control who can buy and who can sell is going to be a sad day for our industry. If Dion had an exclusive agreement to use the Candela, I'd understand Pete's position a lot more. Heck, even Dion himself on Twitter said he didn't have a problem.

2) As I said in my blog post, I get the respect factor for Dion, but Dion's cigars are not widely available. In this case, there is nothing wrong with someone else doing a Candela (as long as the got the wrapper with permission). In the end, free market economics will dictate who has more success - namely supply, demand, and quality.

3) While Pete didn't call out the "someone else" by name, he made it clear with his reference to "Skull and Bones" that this was Viaje. In general I do not like competition bashing - even if you don't call them out by name. If you have a great product, then position your strengths and leave it at that.

Before you think I am anti-Tatuaje, this is far from true. I think they have some great cigars. I just don't agree with this particular statement in his interview - and feel very strongly about it.