What's new

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake - PToM, June 2014 (Pipe Tobacco of the Month)

Rating - 100%
110   0   0
...nose tickle on the snork.
This piqued my curiosity. What exactly is a snork?
Sorry.
Retrohale!
:)
i am down with most pipe culture, but i absolutely CANNOT get behind the word "snork". it just takes me back to that horrid smurfs rip-off/clone. retrohale is much more dignified.
Retrohale may be more dignified, but snork is so much more awesome!!!

Edit: could not let this post go with such a gross disregard for the English language.
Nope, you said "awesomer"
Can't let that go away!
I tried to let it go, I honestly did, but the draw was too much, I had to change it.

I typed it in, knowing all well and good that it wouldn't last that long. But, I tried.
You should have just.edited to say "like totally more awesomer, naah wha Immmm sayiiiiiiin"

Ducttapegonewild

Actual Size
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Sorry.
Retrohale!
i am down with most pipe culture, but i absolutely CANNOT get behind the word "snork". it just takes me back to that horrid smurfs rip-off/clone. retrohale is much more dignified.

Edit: could not let this post go with such a gross disregard for the English language.
Can't let that go away!
I tried to let it go, I honestly did, but the draw was too much, I had to change it.

I typed it in, knowing all well and good that it wouldn't last that long. But, I tried.
You should have just.edited to say "like totally more awesomer, naah wha Immmm sayiiiiiiin"
I can't. My fingers can't type like that... It's a condition man!!!

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
Sorry.
Retrohale!

Can't let that go away!

I can't. My fingers can't type like that... It's a condition man!!!
You ain't from da souf if you ain't talkin like dis bruh. Sometimes I dun evn kno wut u be talmbout wit them big words

Rating - 100%
42   0   0
So here's my initial review of LNS.

Smoked a bowl in a cob with the fold packing method. My first time doing it this way which led to some trouble getting it going, which also led to some tongue bite. It finally got going, and stayed lit pretty much the whole way through.

As far as taste, it starts off with an initial sweetness when you first draw, then it turns into a spicy flavor. I didn't retrohale this time cause I forgot, but will do next time. What it reminds of as far as taste is what most cinnamon candy or gum taste like. That in it a sugary sweetness when you first begin eating it, then when it dies down, you get the cinnamon heat.

Left it to sit for for a few hours hence the lighting change

Damn it didn't look that dark on my phone

Rating - 100%
58   0   0
Sorry.
Retrohale!

Can't let that go away!

you and your cdo are hilarious

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
So, I know this is "late to the party", but I hope nobody minds me adding another review here.
Yes, this is the SMOKE magazine style review for cigars - but adapted it to pipe tobacco. Why not?
Peter Stokkebye Luxury Navy Flake
Described by manufacturer: Very mature old belt flue-cured Virginia’s spiced with Louisiana Perique.

0.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality
2.1 - 2.9 = fair
3.0 - 3.5 = good
3.5 - 4.5 = excellent
4.6 - 5.0 = superior
1) Aesthetics: I love flakes, and this is a gorgeous flake, take a look at the pic if you do not believe me. 4.9

2) Pre-light Construction: Right out of the box, in regard to moisture this is eminently smokable. It is able to be folded and smoked, or it rubs out completely without much effort. As you nose the tobacco, this is a wonderfully light smelling Virginia with a bit of sweetness. I know there is Perique, but it was done with a light hand. 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: This burns delightfully. I can get bit easily, and this is one Virginia that I can mistreat by puffing vigorously and it will not come back to bite me. 4.0

4) Flavor and strength: Do not expect this to be a full bodied Virginia or VaPer (which is what it is). This is more along the lines of Dunhill Flake with just a touch of Perique, but the Perique is ephemeral (fleeting at best), showing itself more in hints of light spice. This is one that needs to be smoked slowly to get the most out of it, and that most will be more of a light sweetness with hints of light caramel. I think that in my first few bowls of this, I was not WOWed by it, it is just too light for that. It takes a few bowls and a clean palate to appreciate the complexity and “freshness” of this blend. 3.6

5) Aftertaste/Finish: This finishes very light and does not linger long. What is there is slight sweetness. 2.3

6) Aroma: I really enjoy the light sweetness in the room note with this blend. There are those who seem to think that PS-LNF has a topnote to it – if it does, the manufacturer’s notes do not say so, and I have never found it. Again, it is lightly sweet and simply enjoyable. 3.5

7) General Comments I really enjoy this blend, for the price is ridiculous for this quality of a Virginia. In the right bowl, the sweetness come flying to the fore and is exquisite. (Personally, if I think about it, I like to take some of this and rub it, add some Perique to it, squish it into a ½ pint mason jar, let it sit for a few months, and then smoke it) 4.5

8) Recommendation: I highly recommend this blend to those who would like to enjoy a quality VA but like their Perique with a gentle hand.