What's new

Philip "Katman" Kohn reviews review

Austinoir

The luckiest guy in Shawshank
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spent last night reading many cigar reviews by Mr. Philip Kohn, aka Katman. I was intrigued due to the posting stating back in Jan 16' that due to his health he would cease his reviews in February 16'. So, I was surprised to see one dated for March 2, 2016. I have tried my hands a couple of reviews so far, but his volume, research and flair blew me away. I just wanted to take a minute and pay tribute to him for however long he'll be able to crank out stellar reviews. He said he writes 365 days a year and does nothing but reviews. The few I've done have required significant effort, and to do this as well, as consistently and with as much dead on flair as a Mike Spillane novel like Mr. Kohn is an spectacular achievement.

I wish him well with his health concerns and am glad to have found his work. Keep writing, dear Sir, because we all benefit.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I love reading The Katman. It is so sad to see him go through such a horrible disease. He said he is going to continue writing reviews as he can here and there, but will no longer be doing it every day. If there is a cigar you are curious about, Katman has probably smoked it.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I can remember talking with him through PMS and emails years ago and enjoyed his reviews and knowledge about cigars. His unique perspective pushed me to personally seek more information about cigars I'd never smoked before and I ended up enjoying them.

Reviews are not easy to do and his ability to do as many as he did is astounding. ..all to our benefit. I wish him Godspeed in his life and future. ..he is certainly respected and well thought of.

Rating - 100%
7   0   0
He is actually the only reviewer I like reading. His style and honesty were refreshing to say the least. He let it all hang out and never minced words about the quality of a stick. With only one or two exceptions I have always agreed with his take on sticks.

I don't think anyone will fill the gaping hole his absence will create.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've found Mr. Kohn's palate to be very similar to my own, and have blindly taken his advice and bought cigars and have never been disappointed! He IS very honest with his assessments, never politically correct, and I very much appreciate that. He's not beholding to sponsors or other special interests, and that's pretty dern refreshing. He's been reviewing and writing here and there since his 66th birthday, when I announced that he was giving up the daily reviews...Very sad to see him suffering his health issues.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love reading the Katman as his reviews are more an interesting read although I can't taste half of what he detects. Also his rock star and life stories he posts are a fun read and he has led quite a life. The real most interesting man on earth.

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just noticed he started letting people review cannabis on it now.

Lame move
Not sure I agree with you about it being a lame move....the motive is a bit liberal but there are underlying reasons as to "why" the reviews are on there. I know the Katman is dealing with health issues that affect his life and he writes with an eloquence that few are able to actually communicate their own ideas or opinions. On his blogs he goes into detail as to the "types" of cannabis for those who suffer in silence with chronic health issues...pain...crippling illnesses that healthy people just don't understand or even care to talk about. His talent for being able to communicate to others is a 'gift' to those who can't understand or even articulate their own ideas or opinions...but he manages to reach those who want to understand something that can actually repair or help those who indulge in cannabis by actually making it clear as to what it does...how it tastes...how it affects the user....kind of like somebody explaining liquor in all of it's form and tastes. Being responsible is the key with anything. JMHO

Last edited: