What's new

Philips Hue Eco-System

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I recently had a conversation with some brothers in another thread about the Philips Hue eco-system and realized that I totally jacked his thread. o_O So I decided to start this one instead. This thread is a spot for those who are interested in setting up any part of the Philips Hue lighting system in a single lamp or throughout their entire home. I have been using Philips Hue since early 2016 and am absolutely in love with it!

When I started looking into the system itself, I had no idea what to buy, what each bulb size meant, how individual pieces worked together, or how to setup the cool lighting features that I saw on YouTube. And worse yet, there was no one to really ask these questions to - even the people in retail stores had no idea. So I just started buying a few things here and there, downloading some apps and playing around to see what I could come up with. By no means am I an expert on the subject, but I do have quite a few lights from them which has helped me gain a lot of experience. So, feel free to ask any questions you might have and I'll be more than happy to help. If you have any of these lights and want to share how you have them setup, please share!

NOTE: I am in no way affiliated with Philips Hue so you'll get honest, unbiased feedback and input from me. (y)
2nd NOTE: the links provided are to the Amazon page for the individual item I reference. I am not affiliated with Amazon and am not getting paid for any of this. These links are simply for reference and ease of finding them. If you prefer to buy from Best Buy or Home Depot, have at it!

HIGH LEVEL OVERVIEW OF THE DIFFERENT PHILIPS HUE ITEMS

Philips Hue Bridge

Everything starts, and is centered around, the Philips Hue Bridge. This is the “brain” and it connects and talks with up to 50 individual Philips Hue items. In short, you have to have this piece for any one bulb to work. They include a Bridge in the A19 starter kit and I would pick this kit up first as it is only $5 to $10.00 more than buying a Bridge by itself. Plus, you’ll be setup for expansion later.

Philips Hue White A19 Bulbs

As the name implies, these bulbs are only white in color but it gives you the ability to control it from your phone/tablet/home AI. For example, using the Philips Hue App on my iPhone, I can control the brightness of these lights as well as set up automation where their output is set to XX% at certain times of the day. These bulbs fit any standard socket and are best in lamps, chandeliers, or fan lights.

Philips Hue A19 Color Bulbs

These bulbs have the same output as the A19 Color (listed above) but look very different physically and also change colors. These are ideal for globe lights above a kitchen table or floor standing lights where the light bulbs face up. The reason is, these bulbs have 85% of their light shining in the direction they are faced. Not much side light comes out of them. But, they do change colors and you can dim them.

Philips Hue BR30 Bulbs

Not only can you control the light output for these bulbs but some of them give you the ability to change color to anything you can imagine. These work best in ceiling Can Lights because of their size and directional light output.

Philips Hue LED Light Strip
This light strip really opens up the possibilities of where you add light. It has a 3M adhesive backing so you can stick it anywhere (behind your TV, behind cabinets, under kitchen cabinets, under a couch, etc.) and then you can control the colors and the light output from your phone/tablet/AI system.

Philips Hue Motion Sensor
This unit triggers any Hue lights to come on when it senses motion. You can put these anywhere in your house and set many different scenarios with it. These work great for closets, bathrooms, pantry, hallways, etc.

Philips Hue Tap Switch
This unit gives you 4 programable buttons that you can tie to different scenarios for the room. For example, you could have color lights paired with this Tap and when you click on button one, all the lights turn on a normal color and at 100%. Button 2 could be all lights on a normal color at 50% power. Button 3 could be all lights on blue at 73% power. Button 4 could be all lights off. You can literally program these buttons to be whatever you want for the room that it is in.

Philips Hue Dimmer Switch
This switch gives you the ability to set specific lights to be dimmed at the touch of a button. Also, it couldn't be easier to install and setup.

There are a number of other Philips Hue items that you can get but I do not have any personal experience with them. However, you can find some information about them at the Philips Hue home page.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My Setup
I've transitioned most of my house to the Philips Hue eco-system. I have the white A19 bulbs throughout the master bedroom, hallways, staircase, kitchen, living room, multiple closets, pantry, and laundry room. Then I have the BR30's in all of my can lights in the living room, playroom, and "theatre". I have the LED strips under our kitchen cabinets and I'm about to install them under our deck's railing for downlighting. I have all of them automated to turn on/off/dim during certain times. Also, I do have the Tap for the "theatre" and I have a couple Dimmer Switches throughout the house for ease of use. I also have a motion sensor setup in every closet, the pantry, and the laundry room because my daughters (and wife) are notorious for leaving the lights on. This way, they automatically turn off the Hue bulbs associated to the sensor after 1 minute of no motion.

All of this is connected through Apple HomeKit at my house so I can use Siri on my iOS devices as well as the remote on my Apple TVs. I will get an Apple HomePod this December and it will sync up with all of these lights as well. Also, the Philips Hue system works flawlessly with Amazon Echo and Google Home.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
DIFFERENT APPLICATIONS TO USE
Please note that I use iOS devices so my experience will be from an Apple user's point of view.

Philips Hue App (Download: iTunes | Google Play)
This is the default app that you can use from Philips. In my opinion, it's the easiest app to use when you are setting up the Bridge and when you are adding lights and/or accessories to the setup. You can also setup the different rooms, turn lights on/off, dim, change colors, and set up scenes and automation within this app.

Apple Home Kit (Comes with any Apple Device running iOS10 or later)
Almost all of what you setup in the Philips Hue App will auto import into the Home Kit app. That makes it nice because now you can utilize Siri to voice control everything. Additionally, your control center (swipe up from the bottom) will include your favorite scenes and individual lights for ease of use.

Hue TV (Download: iTunes)
This is the app that will change your color lights to match the color(s) on your TV screen. It makes watching Sci-Fi movies incredible and my kids think it's the greatest thing of all time. Simply open the app on your device and it activates your camera. Then, you point your device's camera at the TV you are watching and all of a sudden, your lights will reflect the colors that are on your TV. I have this app on my iPad and it sits on the coffee table so I don't have to hold it. Plus, it can be plugged in to the charger because it does drain your battery.

Hue Disco (Download: iTunes | Google Play)
Start the party, baby! Your device's microphone will listen to the music you are playing (BPMs) and your lights will "dance" to the music. This works best with color changing lights. There are also different settings so you can really fine tune and dial in the "party" that you're looking for.

iLightShow (Download: iTunes | Google Play)
Similar to "Hue Disco", this app changes your lights based off of the beat of the music you are playing. The main difference is that "iLightShow" is analyzing the music natively in your phone as you stream the music. "Hue Disco" uses your phone's microphone to analyze the music. If you are streaming your music, "iLightShow" is the way to go! If you you are using the radio or a record player, "Hue Disco" is the app you need.

Sync My Lights (Download: iTunes)
This is another app that controls your color changing lights to sync up with your TV. The difference between this one and Hue TV is that Sync My Lights is pre-programmed to TV Shows/Movies that are in its library so there is no need for the camera. For example, if you wanted to watch "Rogue One: A Star Wars Story", you could turn this app on, find the movie, and hit start in the app and start on the movie at the same time and your lights will auto play with the movie. It's a much better experience when it works properly. The reason it's a bit chaotic is because each movie is setup by the general public and they add the movies. So, it's a crap shoot but again, when it works, it's awesome! If you have ever watched "Stranger Things" on Netflix, there is an episode where the mom uses a crap ton of Christmas lights and this app has your color changing lights sync'd with the screen and... da'gum! Incredible!

IFTTT (Download: iTunes | Google Play)
IFTTT stands for If This Then That. It's an application that lets you connect 2 applications on your phone to work together. This app works with far more than just Philips Hue lights but it can unlock some pretty cool features! For example, I have mine setup so that every time:
  • my favorite baseball team wins my Philips Hue Bulbs in my living room flash Red & Blue.
  • I come home after dusk, my Philips Hue lights in the Living Room and Kitchen turn on.
  • carbon monoxide is detected, my Philips Hue lights blink.
  • the temperature drops below freezing, the lights turn blue.
  • the temperature exceeds 98 F, the lights turn red.

Hue Sync - This is a desktop/laptop application (Download: click here)
At the time of this writing, the "Hue Sync" app is only for your desktop/laptop and does not work on a mobile device. That being said, the idea behind this app is it gives you the ability change your Hue Lights based off of the dominant color on your computer's screen. What does not work (yet) is the ability to use this while watching a movie you bought from iTunes, Netflix, Hulu, etc. because the way the app works, it thinks you are "stealing" what's on the screen. However, Philips has said that they are working with Streaming providers to allow the "Hue Sync" app to work with their service(s). Until then, you can watch something on YouTube and the lights will adjust based on the colors on the screen. Very cool and very free. :)

Again, there are literally hundreds of apps that you can use in IFTTT so your imagination is the only thing preventing you from creating your own "recipes".

Last edited:

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
Sounds like something I need to check into! The wife and I have been looking at several different options to help bring our house up to date, and make it more energy efficient... nest, Google home, some sort of WiFi light switch thingy.. sounds like this is one of the things we're looking for, but didn't know about yet!

Now, I'll spend the next hour researching... With a cigar... lol

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
Sounds like something I need to check into! The wife and I have been looking at several different options to help bring our house up to date, and make it more energy efficient... nest, Google home, some sort of WiFi light switch thingy.. sounds like this is one of the things we're looking for, but didn't know about yet!

Now, I'll spend the next hour researching... With a cigar... lol
Man, I couldn't agree more! And, there are no wires or tools needed to set any of this up! It's super easy to give your home a more modern feel with this system!

I'm probably going to put a video together somehow to post on here as well. My fear is that the above posts might have so much information in them that people are hesitant to try them out. But, it really could not be more simple! Part of the reason there is a bit of a cost to go this route is because of how simple Philips made them! A cost is always associated with convenience and these can be considered pricey.

But, that's also why I like the fact that you can just add a bulb or 2 as needed and as your pocket book allows. No need to do it all at once!

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Thanks for your info. I've thought about updating everything in my place. Nice to have someone who has actually done it and would be able to answer a few questions ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Bought the color starter kit and one br30 colored bulb to play with. If I like it I will add a few more bulbs to even everything out. Have a smaller condo so don't need much.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
That's awesome! Do you already know where you are going to install the lights in the condo?
I have a couple places in mind to play around with them. I have been thinking about replacing the light fixture in the kitchen and one of the hue lamps would probably work great. I really like the idea of being able to adjust the whiteness

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I have a couple places in mind to play around with them. I have been thinking about replacing the light fixture in the kitchen and one of the hue lamps would probably work great. I really like the idea of being able to adjust the whiteness
Sounds fun!

One tip/thought: I recommend putting all Hue lights on the same light switch. Said differently, when you flip a light switch on, whatever lights turn on should all be replaced with Hue bulbs. For you to be able to dim and/or color change your Hue bulbs, they have to be on. So if you have 1 light switch that turns 3 lights on in the kitchen but only 1 or 2 of those 3 blubs is Hue, then the non Hue bulb(s) also have to be on just to control the Hue light(s) dimming and/or color abilities.

For example: at my house, every single light switch that has Hue bulbs on it is permanently left on. Because of that, the automation works (certain lights fade on at 6:00 AM, all are off at 7:20 AM, most turn fade in to full at 6:45 pm, etc.) but I also can control them from my iPhone/iPad/AppleTV/Siri at any given moment.

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
I have 3rd generation A19 kit. Works great with any Amazon Echo products.
And you nailed most of what people need to know.
There are many sources to find them at bargain prices now and again. Though people need to make sure they are buying the right bulbs. There are still many A19 kits out there that are 2nd generation. The third generations have the same price, though the 3rd gen bulbs have better greens and blues. The main difference here is the bulbs. as i think the hub is still 2nd gen on the new kits. The bulbs look nearly identical. Here is a link to a vid of the bulb comparison. The individual bulbs are marketed as 3rd generation but the kits not so much. From what I remember the 3rd gen kit packaging said "more vivid colors" on one of the corners. (only difference)
Just trying to keep people from making a mistake if on buying old stock A buddy at work ordered a kit and he had to return it.

Last edited:

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
My wife and I are pretty strict about our daughter's bedtimes on school nights. Our oldest (13) goes to bed at 9:00 PM and our youngest (9) goes to bed at 8:00 PM. They both seem to have this crazy disease where they become oblivious to the time when it gets close to their respective bedtimes and my wife or I have to remind them. If we remind them 10 minutes before, we hear, "I KNOW!" but when we remind them 20 minutes after we hear, "I'm sorry - I didn't realize what time it is!".

Riiiiiiight.

So I looked through the IFTTT app and now my house blinks all of our Philips Hue lights 15 times at 8:00 and 9:00. No excuses now because the bulbs are everywhere so no matter where they are or what they are doing, we all know what time it is! hahaha

I think it's hilarious but my neighbors have asked if there is a poltergeist-like issue happening in our home as the windows obviously show the blinking. :D

Rating - 100%
97   0   0
My wife and I are pretty strict about our daughter's bedtimes on school nights. Our oldest (13) goes to bed at 9:00 PM and our youngest (9) goes to bed at 8:00 PM. They both seem to have this crazy disease where they become oblivious to the time when it gets close to their respective bedtimes and my wife or I have to remind them. If we remind them 10 minutes before, we hear, "I KNOW!" but when we remind them 20 minutes after we hear, "I'm sorry - I didn't realize what time it is!".

Riiiiiiight.

So I looked through the IFTTT app and now my house blinks all of our Philips Hue lights 15 times at 8:00 and 9:00. No excuses now because the bulbs are everywhere so no matter where they are or what they are doing, we all know what time it is! hahaha

I think it's hilarious but my neighbors have asked if there is a poltergeist-like issue happening in our home as the windows obviously show the blinking. :D
I just change the settings on MyVerizon and XFinity to lock their devices out at a certain time. No fun time means go to sleep or I will make you do chores in the dark.

Btw, I actually read through this as I've been curious about these. I don't know if I'm ready to convert, but you definitely gave me some ideas on what you can do with the Philips system.

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
I just change the settings on MyVerizon and XFinity to lock their devices out at a certain time. No fun time means go to sleep or I will make you do chores in the dark.
This is brilliant! haha

Btw, I actually read through this as I've been curious about these. I don't know if I'm ready to convert, but you definitely gave me some ideas on what you can do with the Philips system.
Let me know if you ever have any questions on it. I'm no expert but I have a bunch of real world experience with them. There are also a few other brands out there that do what Philips Hue can do, but I started my conversion with them and have continued down the path of total emersion. haha

Prine

Nerf herder
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
My wife was actually looking at these for the house last week. I've thought about it but being the security nazi I am I have a really hard time with IOT devices. There constantly seem to be security vulnerabilities discovered in them. Does anyone know if they have encrypted the communication between the Phillips devices yet?
I know at one point with the Hue lights someone with a drone could takeover control of the lights, and there was another worm that was out there that spread between any Hue devices in range.

Rating - 100%
38   0   0
I have the Phillips Hue system and its pretty legit. It gets pretty addicting buying bulbs and accessories. Good write up @bwhite220
Have you found any other applications for the sync with lights? I used that one and its ok was wondering if there were others for movies etc

bwhite220

Brandon | BotM Jan 2038
Rating - 100%
91   0   0
For Christmas, my Brother-In-Law gave me a Philips Hue Light strip that I put behind my record player cabinet. Now, I have lights that dance to the music!

I referenced the "Hue Disco" app in a previous post above but I also started using "iLightShow" (Download: iTunes | Google Play) which controls your lights based off of what you are streaming (Apple Music or Spotify) on your phone. Much cleaner and quicker changes because it's analyzing on the phone versus using the microphone to listen to what's being played like "Hue Disco" will do.

So many possibilities! :)