What's new

Photography Critiques Corner

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I see we've got some budding/aspiring/hobbyist photographers here, so i thought why not open a thread for your photography! This could be a critiques corner for your photographs where you will be provided constructive criticism on how you could improve your photography!

We're not talking pictures that you've clicked randomly or for the sake of it. It's for those who are serious about taking pictures and enjoy doing so!

For starters, here a recent picture of my father taken in my home studio, with 1 soft box, a strobe & a reflector. Shot with my D7000 mounted with a 18-105mm lens.

Final edit 2 reduced.jpg

Now let's see yours!

Last edited:

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hello!

I see we've got some budding/aspiring/hobbyist photographers here, so i thought why not open a thread for your photography! This could be a critiques corner for your photographs!

We're not talking pictures taken with your phones or point-n-shoot cameras here.

We're talking entry level DSLR and above. People who are serious about taking pictures and enjoy doing so!

For starters, here a recent picture of my father taken in my home studio, with 1 soft box, a strobe & a reflector. Shot with my D7000 mounted with a 18-105mm lens.

View attachment 32393

Now let's see yours!
Great picture! I'd have liked to see a little more light, but the effect of the picture is really nice. As far as limiting the picture to entry level DSLR's, I don't think that would be a fair limit. It's more about the user than the equipment. Hell, even a $100+ smoke like a CGR is just another cigar to someone that doesn't understand the complexities and what to look for. Some of today's high end smart phones are pushing the limit of what camera phones can do....some of them already using 13 mp with HDR capabilities. In fact, I've seen pictures from camera phones that rival most DSLR's and you wouldn't know the difference unless you looked at the metadata to see what was used. Especially when there are programs like Photoshop or Lightroom. Hell, some of the pictures I've taken with a 5mp camera phone (let along my 13mp one) can rival some of those that I've taken with my a65. It depends more on the user than it does the equipment. Besides, I don't know a single professional photographer that doesn't carry around a point and shoot or high end camera phone for those instances when they don't have access to their DSLRs.

All in all though, I like the idea behind the thread.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello!

I see we've got some budding/aspiring/hobbyist photographers here, so i thought why not open a thread for your photography! This could be a critiques corner for your photographs!

We're not talking pictures taken with your phones or point-n-shoot cameras here.

We're talking entry level DSLR and above. People who are serious about taking pictures and enjoy doing so!

View attachment 32393

Now let's see yours!
Great picture! I'd have liked to see a little more light, but the effect of the picture is really nice. As far as limiting the picture to entry level DSLR's, I don't think that would be a fair limit. It's more about the user than the equipment. Hell, even a $100+ smoke like a CGR is just another cigar to someone that doesn't understand the complexities and what to look for. Some of today's high end smart phones are pushing the limit of what camera phones can do....some of them already using 13 mp with HDR capabilities. In fact, I've seen pictures from camera phones that rival most DSLR's and you wouldn't know the difference unless you looked at the metadata to see what was used. Especially when there are programs like Photoshop or Lightroom. Hell, some of the pictures I've taken with a 5mp camera phone (let along my 13mp one) can rival some of those that I've taken with my a65. It depends more on the user than it does the equipment. Besides, I don't know a single professional photographer that doesn't carry around a point and shoot or high end camera phone for those instances when they don't have access to their DSLRs.

I do agree with the fact that I shouldnt limit the pictures submitted to just DSLR+ & the likes. I will have that requirement removed and make this thread more general, and for any photographer that might want their pictures criticized (Constructively).

Thank you for your suggestion :)

As for the lighting in the above picture, my intentions were to make this a low-key portrait. Do you still think it needs more light ? (If so, I will definitely take that into consideration for my future photographs)

The EVP

The Bully
Rating - 100%
28   0   0
Hello!

View attachment 32393

Now let's see yours!

I do agree with the fact that I shouldnt limit the pictures submitted to just DSLR+ & the likes. I will have that requirement removed and make this thread more general, and for any photographer that might want their pictures criticized (Constructively).

Thank you for your suggestion :)

As for the lighting in the above picture, my intentions were to make this a low-key portrait. Do you still think it needs more light ? (If so, I will definitely take that into consideration for my future photographs)
Not if you feel it doesn't need it and that's what you were going for. It's near impossible to say what a good picture is and what a bad one is because, in the end, it's all about what the shooter was trying to capture and convey. I tend to like a little higher contrast in my own pictures but I know someone that thinks I'm an idiot as he likes his pictures pretty much untouched and unedited. I do like the picture though....very nice! If low-key was the look you were going for, spot on man!!! :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo is really cool. The only issue I have with it is the distortion of the perspective that makes his foot look huge. If the perspective distortion is deliberate then disregard my critique. It's just a personal observation. I've seen a lot of nude photos destroyed by this kind of distortion and I just kind of bugs me.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The photo is really cool. The only issue I have with it is the distortion of the perspective that makes his foot look huge. If the perspective distortion is deliberate then disregard my critique. It's just a personal observation. I've seen a lot of nude photos destroyed by this kind of distortion and I just kind of bugs me.
Interestingly, I've had many mixed comments about that exact point. Some have said it gives a good perspective to the picture, and some coincide with your observation.

Personally I think it gives it depth. But yes, I can see how it could make the foot look distorted.

Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Ok I think I figured out the problem. Album was set to private.

Canon 40d with 35mm lens. 8 vertical images stitched together. Grand Rivers, Ky. If that doesn't fix it, I give up.

Only thing I do not like about the image is that I cut off the top of the nearest sails.

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Canon 40d with 35mm lens. 8 vertical images stitched together. Grand Rivers, Ky. If that doesn't fix it, I give up.

Only thing I do not like about the image is that I cut off the top of the nearest sails.
Ahh yes, now i see it! It's a great picture, though yes, giving it some more breathing space on the top would have eased the composition a lot more.

A question though, what lens were you using for this ?

Rating - 100%
25   0   0

Ahh yes, now i see it! It's a great picture, though yes, giving it some more breathing space on the top would have eased the composition a lot more.

Canon 35mm f2.0 lens. The cheap canon 35mm prime lens. Not the L.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Canon 35mm f2.0 lens. The cheap canon 35mm prime lens. Not the L.
Just a thought, a 10-20mm wide angle would've given a great result!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a thought, a 10-20mm wide angle would've given a great result!
I agree, I have tested that lens a time or two but haven't brought myself to pull the trigger. It cost more than double what I paid for the 35.
It's a brilliant lens, one of my most used for landscape, architectural & automotive. You should check out the sigma or tamron wide angle, they're not too expensive, as compared to the Nikon or canon wide angles.

Rating - 100%
69   0   0
Eh at times I like my 10-22 and at others I don't, I had it up forsale for a little while. For landscapes shooter it seems to be a lens of choice, but doing weddings and portrait work its not as crisp as I would like it. Plus I love my primes and fast lenses way more. I first bought it for shooting at car shows, that way I can get up close on a car and not have the 2 next to it in the shot.

I would agree that having the top of the sail could have added to the comp but overall since this is a pan shot I also thinking having it cut off doesn't take away from it either. Nice shot, would like to see what that spot is like at sunset or at night.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Eh at times I like my 10-22 and at others I don't, I had it up forsale for a little while. For landscapes shooter it seems to be a lens of choice, but doing weddings and portrait work its not as crisp as I would like it. Plus I love my primes and fast lenses way more. I first bought it for shooting at car shows, that way I can get up close on a car and not have the 2 next to it in the shot.

I would agree that having the top of the sail could have added to the comp but overall since this is a pan shot I also thinking having it cut off doesn't take away from it either. Nice shot, would like to see what that spot is like at sunset or at night.
For portrait & wedding photography I wouldn't use this lens as it exaggerates/elongates the persons features, unless off course you intend for a more charicature-istic style by emphasizing certain features.

For the picture of the boats, I agree that it isn't distracting at all.

For portraits, (not the one above) I personally love the 50mm f 1.4 for the only reason being the shallow depth of field it creates and the exaggerated bokeh. I've been wanting to pick one of these up for a while, but I just got me a new humidor and the wife isn't too happy about all these expensive hobbies :p (photography, collecting vinyls & now cigars)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's an example of why I love my 10-20mm sigma.

This was intended to be an HDR, but that flopped since the wind shook the trees causing them grey when combined in HDR pro. So I did a composite HDR of the tree and landscape and stitched them together with the car from the original HDR.

Your comments & suggestions will be appreciated :)