What's new

Picture of cigar shapes and sizes

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm looking for a link that has a picture of all the most common cigar shapes and sizes. (Preferrably in one pic, as a comparison).

I'm trying to get a mental picture each time a robusto, churchill, etc is discussed. :smokingme

c10bonanza

Officially Clueless
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Excellent Cliff...just the type of thing I was looking for.

New question...do the cigars that are irregularly shaped, such as the ones that are squared (pressed? I'm not sure of the correct terminology) smoke differently than a "normal" shaped stick?

Other than appearance, are they more desirable?

Please forgive spelling mistakes...it's my bedtime! :sleep:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
The term you're looking for is "box-pressed." This is fairly common in non-cuban cigars. Most noteably Padron in their '64 and '26 line. But that is a very extreme version of a box-press. Cubans can be box pressed too, but it isn't done intentionally like some non-cuban cigar makers. I haven't found a box-pressed cigar to be more desireable then the same cigar w/out a box-press. It's either made to be that way or it's a by product of a tight box.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
I always enjoy a nice tight box.

Oh, ummm cigars right...

Nice links Cliff, thanks.

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
I've found Box presses (purposeful in N/Cs) to smoke slightly better on the whole, though I've never found a difference with the natural press that an ISOM from a Dress box (normal cedar box of 25 with labels and a 13/12 presentation)has when compared to a un pressed version available in a cab

GuyMcBeerdrinker

poonsmith
Rating - 90%
20   2   1
do the cigars that are irregularly shaped, such as the ones that are squared (pressed? I'm not sure of the correct terminology) smoke differently than a "normal" shaped stick?
the practice of box-pressing cigars started as a way to keep cigars from rolling off a torcedor's table. not to enhance flavor.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
the practice of box-pressing cigars started as a way to keep cigars from rolling off a torcedor's table. not to enhance flavor.
I never knew that. Ya learn something new everday! :glassesgr

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Personally I prefer a cigar from a cabinet over a box pressed cigar...just doesn't seem right when the cigar is square.
True True...Cabinet version, 898 version, etc.