What's new

Pipe aroma/odor

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
Curious about an aspect of pipe smoking.... Do pipes get a bad odor after smoking similar to the odor after smoking a cigar or does the aroma tend to stay consistent?

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
Like stuki said, it depends on the baccy, but I don't think I've tried a pipe tobacco yet that leaves as bad of a stale smoke smell as cigars. Maybe the cigar leaf blends.
I smoke my pipes in my car, to work and back. It smells in the car, but not the old stale ashtray smell my clothes have after hanging out at the local B&M. It's pleasant, somewhat sickly-sweet/pungent. Kind of hard to explain...

Rating - 100%
34   0   0
I've been smoking in my truck on the way home all week an when I get in it the next day I usually can't smell anything. I keep all my pipes in a cabinet in the basement an unless I stick my head in there it isn't a very strong smell.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
You'll also find that non-smokers are generally far more agreeable to being around a pipe smoker, too. But not always. There are some tobaccos (like Sutliff's Molto Dolce) that pretty much everyone around you will love and then there are tobaccos like Pirate Kake that is not as huge a crowd pleaser with non-smokers. Typically, though, I do find I get less raised eyebrows when I pull out a pipe versus a cigar. Although most of my friends who don't smoke cigars are used to me having one...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
used pipe tobacco is FOUL. cleaners and dottle (unburnt tobacco out of the bowl) should be disposed of ASAP. that said, pipes actually aren't bad. they DO smell of tobacco , but much less pungently, and it dissipates to a gentle and workable background note. kinda like a good tobacconist, where it smells like smoke, but not stale and old, right? that's part of the concept of dedicating pipes to blend styles, or specific blends, in fact.

and, yes, store pipes where they can breath, air out and chill after each bowl. it helps.

Rating - 100%
51   0   0
My biggest hurdle in getting a pipe has been the wife. She says it will make me look older... LMAO!
HA!

This past Summer, my wife was sitting in a patio chair on our front porch so she could watch our two kids play outside. It's a nice chair and is a rocker...

So I decide to fill a pipe and join her on the front porch. We got to talking and she made a comment about the neighbor's kids walking across our lawn and then, all of a sudden, I saw ourselves and asked her "how old ARE we?"

There's my wife sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch, I am smoking a pipe beside her, and we're talking about those pesky kids. LMAO

cgraunke

BoM March '14
Rating - 100%
229   0   0
Spring strong sweet tall green grass grow...
My biggest hurdle in getting a pipe has been the wife. She says it will make me look older... LMAO!
My wife was completely against me getting a pipe. Same reasons. She said, "You can smoke a pipe when you're 60."
She got over it, actually likes the smell at times, and loves seeing my IG pictures show up.
Just jump on over to the newbie pipe trade and get started already!

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
HA!

This past Summer, my wife was sitting in a patio chair on our front porch so she could watch our two kids play outside. It's a nice chair and is a rocker...

So I decide to fill a pipe and join her on the front porch. We got to talking and she made a comment about the neighbor's kids walking across our lawn and then, all of a sudden, I saw ourselves and asked her "how old ARE we?"

There's my wife sitting in a rocking chair on the front porch, I am smoking a pipe beside her, and we're talking about those pesky kids. LMAO
Love it! Awesome!