What's new

Pipe Baccy Storage

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
How are you all storing your pipe baccy? I have mine stored in the tins or baggies if they are samplers inside a small cooler with some 65% beads. Any problem with this setup? I do open the cooler once a week to get some fresh air in there.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Pipe tobacco is best stored without added humidity. Keep the original, unopened tins in a cool, dry place. Once you open the tins - if you do not think you will finish within a few weeks, put the tobacco in a small ziplock and return to the tin. Most tins have a decent rubber seal in the lid and should be OK for a month or two.

A better bet is to put all loose or opened tin tobacco into glass jars with rubber seal lids (Mason jars, baby food jars, etc.) They come in all sizes and are cheap. These will keep the tobacco from drying out for a loooooong time. Make sure the jars are very clean before loading your tobacco though. I usually run through the dishwasher and then load them up while the glass is still fairly warm. This helps create a good seal.

I keep many of my unopened tins and glass jars inside a large Rubbermaid storage bin. Similiar in size to a Coleman cooler, but cheaper.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Thanks for the info. I was told but another Brother to put them in a cooler with beads but he is a dweeb so he prolly doesn't know any better. :smt003

I only have 3 tins but they have all been opened so I will look for some good sealing jars like you have mentioned...we might have some baby food jars at school.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
Jars are a great idea. Mine are like Davids (heck mine are from David) and just stored in plastic baggies so far. I've got some canning jars I can put them in. Cool!

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
How about this for storage:

The lids are personalizeable, read you can put the name of the 'baccy on there, and have a rubber seal. They are out of stock right now but will be back in January. I may end up getting a few for the tobacos I have decided I want on hand in bulk now.

Link

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
My dad has a huge tupperware container and just has all his tins inside.

He keeps his custom blends in a glass jar.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I bought a bunch of the small class jars with the rubber seals and metal clasps for about $2-$3 at the local World Market. Works great, and I just use computer printable labels to identify what's in each jar.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
I use those labels on mason Jars currently. I am looking for larger storage now for 8 ounces and up. The quart sized mason jar will work but I don't think I like the look. I'll have to check out world Market today. :thumbsup:

Puff13

Stogie Buster
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
I use those labels on mason Jars currently. I am looking for larger storage now for 8 ounces and up. The quart sized mason jar will work but I don't think I like the look. I'll have to check out world Market today. :thumbsup:

This is what i use...:thumbsup:

gui_tarzan

Certifiable
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Uhhhh... does this mean I need to get a cooler to hold larger jars once I decide which pipe tobacco I like???

:help:

derek

An OG with low post count
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went with glass jars and just store them on a shelf next to my bar.