What's new

Pipe books

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Well, did a search and even though I thought I'd find this thread, there was none that I could find.
I was wondering which pipe related books were worth buying. I'm asking because I know several cigar related ones, yet all me current information on pipes is here, Pipes.org, Tobacconist University, among other websites.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Here are some suggestions on printed material for the pipe smoker:

- The Book of Pipes & Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr. (Very good info on tobacco + blending)
- Rare Smoke by Richard Hacker (Excellent resource for the budding pipe collector)
- The Gentle Art of Smoking by Alfred Dunhill (Good historical info)

- Pipe & Tobaccos magazine (Current and back issues available)
- NASPC newsletter (Current and back issues available)
- The Pipe Smokers Ephemeris (Arguably the most wide ranging compendium of information on all things related to pipes. Tom Dunn was the editor and publisher of this fine "magazine" from 1963 until his death in 2005. He will be missed by many as this was a real labor of love for him. Past issues are occasionally seen for sale on eBay.)

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I knew this would be another slope; yet I wasn't hoping it would be so bloody slippery (again)! I'm glad to hear yer enjoying it at least. :smokingbo

Thanks, Ted! I might not be able to get 'em magazines right now; but the books might be easier.

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
Looking in my bookcase last night, I found I had an extra copy of The Book of Pipes & Tobacco by Carl Ehwa Jr. If you want it, PM me your snail mail address and I'll send it off.

You might want to check your local library + used book shops for other possibilities. This is generally where I find my reading material these days.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Richard Carleton Hacker's Rare Smoke, about collectible pipes, is mentioned above. His The Ultimate Pipe Book, two American editions, now out-of-print, a handsome British one, and even in German translation, is essential. He also published Pipe Smoking: a Twenty-First Century Guide. All his books are recommended.

Milton M Sherman's All About Tobacco, though now 36 years old and rare, is well worth a search. He had long experience as a tobacco manufacturer and importer and his book is full of facts, as distinct from dumbed-down pop fluff.

Alexis Liebaert and Alain Maya's The Illustrated History of the Pipe (from The Pleasures of Life series, Harold Starke Publishers, 1994) is fabulously illustrated indeed and full of literary references to pipe smoking.

I have also enjoyed labour-of-love pipe books by Robin Crole, H. Paul Jeffers, Carl Weber, Jean Rebeyrolles and Rick Newcombe.

Moro

BoM Decembre '08
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'll have to look up for these as well. I've gotten through Dunhill's and the one Ted sent me. Bloody neat books, both of them!

Rating - 94.5%
85   3   0
Alfonso, you will be happy to hear that i purchased my first pipe last night at the shop. For some reason all my cigars have tasted terrible since i got out of the hospital this time. Figured I would try something different on the palate. Wow, I am pretty impressed and also amazed at how pipe tobacco hits you like a sledge hammer. I smoke LFD Double Ligero's, Joya Antano's, Cheroots with no problem and this little pipe bowl kicked my ass all over the place......I love it!