What's new

Pipe Help

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I've recently come into possession of a few pipes that belonged to my sister-in-law's dad. While I'll smoke the occasional pipe on my corn cob, it's not really my thing, I much prefer a cigar. I'm probably going to end up putting these on ebay, and am looking to get a little knowledge on the brands and potential value, as my knowledge on such things is limited. I recognize a couple of the names, but don't really know if they're any good. Also, if someone here happens to be interested in any of these, just let me know.

First up:
1.jpg
2.jpg

Number 2:
3.jpg 4.jpg
5.jpg

Number 3 (the prettiest one IMO):
6.jpg
7.jpg
8.jpg

Finally:
9.jpg
10.jpg

c.ortiz108

The fly in the ointment.
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I'm no expert, but AFIK the only "good" pipe from a branding perspective is the Stanwell. Royal Guard is one of their lower-end lines, though, and estates on ebay go for $40-50 or less. I like Stanwells and they use beautiful briar for the price. In that price range, something from Peterson or another brand might have a lot of fills.

The rest are budget or "basket" pipes - worth maybe $10 or less on ebay. Which doesn't mean they won't smoke well! I'd keep 'em and smoke 'em, or give them away if they weren't good smokers.

Rating - 100%
44   0   0
I'm no expert, but AFIK the only "good" pipe from a branding perspective is the Stanwell. Royal Guard is one of their lower-end lines, though, and estates on ebay go for $40-50 or less. I like Stanwells and they use beautiful briar for the price. In that price range, something from Peterson or another brand might have a lot of fills.

The rest are budget or "basket" pipes - worth maybe $10 or less on ebay. Which doesn't mean they won't smoke well! I'd keep 'em and smoke 'em, or give them away if they weren't good smokers.
Thanks for the info. The Stanwell is definitely the best looking of the bunch.

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
IMHO, I'd recommend sending them to Smokingpipes.com for evaluation and prices, then you'd get a credit from them to shop online for other pipes or tobaccos etc. I know a few people who have done that with some of their pipes and used credits towards more of the higher end pipes from some very reputable carvers.

They all look like they'd smoke nice and seem more of the lower end of pipes, but that doesn't mean they'll be crappy smokers either. You'd have to try them out for a test run. Ebay you'd probably get shafted in fees more than the price of the actual pipe. Or you can hit the social media world and test the waters there if you're on any of it I'm sure someone might be looking too.

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
IMHO, I'd recommend sending them to Smokingpipes.com for evaluation and prices, then you'd get a credit from them to shop online for other pipes or tobaccos etc. I know a few people who have done that with some of their pipes and used credits towards more of the higher end pipes from some very reputable carvers.

They all look like they'd smoke nice and seem more of the lower end of pipes, but that doesn't mean they'll be crappy smokers either. You'd have to try them out for a test run. Ebay you'd probably get shafted in fees more than the price of the actual pipe. Or you can hit the social media world and test the waters there if you're on any of it I'm sure someone might be looking too.
SP gives very little $ for low end pipes. As example if they were to list it for $25, they might give you $11.