What's new

Pipe Lighter

Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I picked up a new Zippo pipe lighter the other day. I haven't put any fluid in it yet.Do you use regular Ronson lighter fluid or is there some other type that may have less tendency to affect the flavor of the tobacco? :smt102

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I have a Zippo but don't use it much ... preferring my IM Corona Old Boy (butane). Some do swear by their Zippo though. If you use the regular Ronson fuel, let it burn for several seconds to dissapate the naptha smell.

Alternative fuels are Everclear and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol ... with the latter being much cheaper and easier to find. These both burn clean and without any odor. Drawbacks are :
1. The flame can be hard to see in the daytime - and thus could potentially be harmful.
2. Alcohol tends to evaporate much quicker than the Ronson fuel - so you wil be refilling more often.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tedski said:
I have a Zippo but don't use it much ... preferring my IM Corona Old Boy (butane). Some do swear by their Zippo though. If you use the regular Ronson fuel, let it burn for several seconds to dissapate the naptha smell.

Alternative fuels are Everclear and 99% Isopropyl Alcohol ... with the latter being much cheaper and easier to find. These both burn clean and without any odor. Drawbacks are :
1. The flame can be hard to see in the daytime - and thus could potentially be harmful.
2. Alcohol tends to evaporate much quicker than the Ronson fuel - so you wil be refilling more often.
Sweet, never realized there were alternatives to zippo fluid...I'll have to check that out. I've been using the butane lighter from JR that says "cigar" on it...it works well enough. Matches go out to easy, this thing gets the bowl lit much faster. Seems to burn cooler too.

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
JeffsJeep04 said:
Sweet, never realized there were alternatives to zippo fluid...I'll have to check that out. I've been using the butane lighter from JR that says "cigar" on it...it works well enough. Matches go out to easy, this thing gets the bowl lit much faster. Seems to burn cooler too.
Just to make sure we are all on the same page Jeff, they are referring to tobacco pipes. :hysterica:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wasch_24 said:
Just to make sure we are all on the same page Jeff, they are referring to tobacco pipes. :hysterica:
Eh? :smokingme

:devil: I always get so confused, guess that's why I got the lighter that says "Cigar" on the side..lets me know what it's for :rolling:

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just bought a Corona Old Boy (butane). I couldn't resist the pipe-shapes design on the lighter itself! I've never owned a lighter before.

Getting over the fear of singeing pipes, have not quite got the hang of it yet. Not sure what's the best angle to tilt the lighter into the bowl.

How often do you find you have to re-fill it, and what size flame do you choose? I use Colibri butane.

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
Putting on my black hat to do a little necromancy here and revive a long dead thread...

Currently Xikar has 3 lighters on the market for pipe smokers

Resource
Pipeline
Scribe

Has anyone used more than one of these and can weigh in on them? Would love some opinions.

ciggy

"TommyBoy"
Rating - 100%
326   0   0
Putting on my black hat to do a little necromancy here and revive a long dead thread...

Currently Xikar has 3 lighters on the market for pipe smokers

Resource
Pipeline
Scribe

Has anyone used more than one of these and can weigh in on them? Would love some opinions.
Damn...Old thread is right! LOL
I know SBB uses a Xikar lighter for his pipes and he says he really likes it. I don't know what model it is so hopefully he'll chime in. I used it when he was here and it is very nice. I have to be honest though and admit I really prefer using large stick matches about 99% of the time.