What's new

Pipe making

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
So a year or two ago I decided to try making pipes. Only made 3 so far but broke one trying to shove in the stem. Gonna start on another soon. Wanted to start a thread where we could post up pics and talk about the projects. Here is my most recent finished one. Will try and find pics of the first one too.

TapaDeezNuts

Attachments

Rating - 100%
163   0   0
Thats awesome looking. I plan to make some but decided to restore some first to learn about pipes and figure out what i want to make.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thats awesome looking. I plan to make some but decided to restore some first to learn about pipes and figure out what i want to make.

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
Good idea. When ur ready to order briar block let me know. I like the place I've ordered...but always open to suggestions if anyone has any

TapaDeezNuts

Hoshneer

Blumpkin King
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
Holy crap man! I had no idea you were into pipes when I saw you at the Tesa event. When I hit Chicago up next time we may have to have a pipe Herf.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Thanks guys. Will try to start soon. I took progress pics of my first one. Will try and post up tomorrow. Will for sure post progress pics of next one

TapaDeezNuts

mdwest

BoM Feb 13 - BoY 2013
Rating - 100%
161   0   0
those are really nice pipes sam... great work!

I'd love to give this sort of thing a try... but dont have the patience or the artistic ability... I envy you guys that have these types of talents..

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
those are really nice pipes sam... great work!

I'd love to give this sort of thing a try... but dont have the patience or the artistic ability... I envy you guys that have these types of talents..
I am the most uncreative and unhandy person in the world. That's why mine are so plain. LOL

Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Beautiful Sam! Do u make the stems too?

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
thanks... and yes they are all handcut.
Sam, those pipes are amazing. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow. I definitely will be asking about your stems. I am at the mercy of the generic looking ones I get with the block and was wondering how to get/make better ones. I may have to commission you to make me a pipe that I will be able to hand down to my son some day....a family heirloom of sorts.

Rating - 100%
35   0   0

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
Sam, those pipes are amazing. Look forward to meeting you tomorrow. I definitely will be asking about your stems. I am at the mercy of the generic looking ones I get with the block and was wondering how to get/make better ones. I may have to commission you to make me a pipe that I will be able to hand down to my son some day....a family heirloom of sorts.
thanks man. sorry i missed you at the show, just drop me a line anytime and i'll be glad to help you out with the stem work.

Rating - 100%
50   0   0

Sent from my SPH-D710BST
thanks man. sorry i missed you at the show, just drop me a line anytime and i'll be glad to help you out with the stem work.
No worries, I will start off by asking publicly because I'd imagine others may be wondering the same thing, or they may encounter what I'm experiencing. When I order my block it comes with the stem (I should also add I buy my blocks pre drilled since I don't have a drill press or bits). Sometimes I wish the stem were shorter, a different shape, etc. How hard is the process of making your stems? Yours def aren't mass produced looking.

Also, here is a list of tools I use. This is it, anything I should add?
Hand saw
Dremel
various grit sandpaper
Buffing wheel to apply wax