What's new

Pipe Recommendations

Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Thanks to @bostoneo I have started up with the pipe. I have been looking into buying a cost effective briar pipe. I am on the fence between a poker and a bent bulldog. Looking for any suggestions/recommendations. I like the Savinelli 673 but am hesitant to drop a 100$ on my first Non Cob pipe. Looking for input boys.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
A good budget friendly poker is a G&G (Golden Gate) brand that can be found on Amazon for around $50. Worth checking out at least. They smoke very well and look damn good for the price.

mjones9630

Who?
Rating - 100%
73   0   0
i wouldn't drop too much on your first pipe... at best, you'll prob end up burning it up..
But, I second the Ukrainian Golden Gate/Watson pipes from Ebay or Amazon.. I have a poker and love it..
Volkan from ebay is a really nice Italian for $50-100 (My fav briar)
or just smoke up a few cobs.. Missouri Pride with a "Forever Stem" bent nosewarmer is my absolute favorite..

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
I'd still say stick with some cobs before you get into the briar pipes. There's also those forever stems that people have made to spruce up the cobs which is actually pretty awesome. I'm just too slow to grab some when they become available. It's almost (sometimes) like the Germains and Esoterica craze. There's definitely some really nice pipes in the Savinelli line too. It was my first briar pipe I picked up from the local B&M after a couple months of piping.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
I'm going to go against some here and say if you want a briar, get a briar. Cobs are great, but they smoke completely different. Definitely have at least one for rotation, but grab a briar if you think you are going to stick with it. Check out the Dagner pipes as well as the Morgan bones pipes as well. Good pipes that won't kill the wallet

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
How long you recommend cobs? I've been burning 3-5 bowls a day for like 2 weeks.
You can smoke the cob as much as you want in a day. That’s one neat thing about them. Briar needs some rest in between bowls. Some say 24-48 hours. Me personally, I’ve let them rest a few hours then smoked again. As long as you clean them with pipe cleaners after each bowl you should be good! YMMV.

I'm going to go against some here and say if you want a briar, get a briar. Cobs are great, but they smoke completely different. Definitely have at least one for rotation, but grab a briar if you think you are going to stick with it. Check out the Dagner pipes as well as the Morgan bones pipes as well. Good pipes that won't kill the wallet
I can’t believe I forgot about them. Shame on me for great pipes at fair prices. I’d recommend looking into both here too.

Sent from my cellular device via crapatalk

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
My first briar was a bent apple by Wessex that I picked up from my local B&M for around $35 new. To this day, it's still one of the best smoking pipes I have.
The basket pipes at local shops can be a really good deal. Check the drilling, if the draft hole is even remotely close to the bottom of the bowl it should smoke well. There is something to be said for being able to see and feel the pipe before you buy it. Another place to check is a site pipingainteasy.com, mods feel free to delete if inappropriate, but he has reasonably priced estate pipes as well as some high end stuff once you fall down the slope

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
farmerje on eBay sells excellent modified cobs for under $20, I own at least a half dozen. Sometimes he uses high quality acrylic stems. I have around a dozen regular MM cobs of all sizes and love them. They’re great smokers. I also own around 50 briars I inherited from my dad that have been restored, along with 4 Jake Hackert pipes. One of the Hackert is a custom Cob and it’s the best smoker of the 4. IMHO the cobs smoke cooler and drier and I always reach for them over a briar. YMMV

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk