What's new

Pipe tobacco storage?

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Hi y'all. Picking the pipe back up for the first time in over a decade. Back then I didn't worry about storage conditions but I'm stocking up on a few tins and some loose, and was wondering if you could tell me how best to store them. I have some airtight glass gasket jars. Can I put them in the wine fridge at around 60F? Do I need to worry about RH at all? Google said something about storing them in the high 50s% RH and I'm pretty sure the ambient humidity in our house is already there...it was at 58% the other day when I measured.

Thanks!

Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Not all of the gasket jars are created equal. The ones with the silicone gasket seem to do okay, I wouldn’t want to trust it for long term storage but for smoking out of there fine. The ones with the rubber gaskets will hold up for six months or so, sometimes a bit more. The one with the neoprene are not really worth the effort IMO. The two piece caning jars are the best bet. Factory sealed tins are usually good for a couple of decades, once opened the round metal tins with a plastic lid are good for a month sometimes two, the round tins with the metal lid will usually keep for two - six weeks the square metal tins only about a week.
it’s a good idea to check the seal on tins as they will occasionally pop during shipping, also their are a few companies that don’t actually seal the tins.
as long as the jars/tin are sealed I don’t worry about humidity.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Not all of the gasket jars are created equal. The ones with the silicone gasket seem to do okay, I wouldn’t want to trust it for long term storage but for smoking out of there fine. The ones with the rubber gaskets will hold up for six months or so, sometimes a bit more. The one with the neoprene are not really worth the effort IMO. The two piece caning jars are the best bet. Factory sealed tins are usually good for a couple of decades, once opened the round metal tins with a plastic lid are good for a month sometimes two, the round tins with the metal lid will usually keep for two - six weeks the square metal tins only about a week.
it’s a good idea to check the seal on tins as they will occasionally pop during shipping, also their are a few companies that don’t actually seal the tins.
as long as the jars/tin are sealed I don’t worry about humidity.
Thanks!! The jars are the two piece bail-top kind, some really good brand from Italy IIRC (think I did some googling back then). Sounds like I should be good to go then...I'm buying mostly tins, and the loose I'll just stash in the jars. Throw it all in the wine fridge because there is an unused accessory basket in there that I may as well take advantage of.