What's new

Pipers ROLL CALL!!

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been getting very into pipes lately. So far I've been really into va/pers, virginias (a la mcclelland), and english blends such as penzance. My pipe collection needs work, but I've got a solid enough set to have a rotation at least. I've got a kaywoodie drinkless, two dr. grabows, a couple of cobs, and some no-name $24 briar I got at my B&M.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never was into the "dip" thing but I did try Skoal Bandits for a while, if that counts. I did chewing tobacco for a couple years, but was a long time ago.

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I chewed mountians of Beech-Nut or Red Man while playin ball. Didn't dip until my fifties while playin softball. Quit softball 3 years ago at 60, the knees just wouldn't let me continue, it took me another two years to get off the dip for good. Amazing how addictive that crap is.

jwintosh

BoM June 07
Rating - 100%
353   0   0
Seems the pipe section is getting left behind.

Are we as Pipe Smokers going to stand for this?? :cursing:

BTW, I also smoke cigars and cigarettes, and hoping to GOD to kick the cigarettes soon. Also, going to try my first SNUS soon. Ain't we a hopeless bunch? :crosseyed
hey Dale!! how are you doing?

Donk

WTF is a Donk?
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I'm in as a piper too, Just got a couple really nice pipes. A sweet Rad Davis, and a nice Cavicchi. As well as some really nice tins of tobacco, I got A bunch of GL Pease, like Maltese fALCON, KEY LARGO, Samarra. But my favorite thus far has to be Mcleeland's Frog morton on the bayou.

I'm really getting into this, Thanks a lot dad!!

Soundwave13

BoM Feb 2010
Rating - 100%
143   0   0
I'm loving it.

I've been trying to figure out which I like more: GLP Odyssey or GLP Samarra... Right now I'm thinking the Odyssey. The Samarra leaves a slightly dry fealing in my mouth.

I too have some Maltese Falcon & On the Bayou, but have yet to try it... I did a trade with a guy on another board for a large sampler of VaPers - It's gonna take some time & note-taking to get through that lot.

I'm still trying to find a good sub for the Queen Anne's Revenge - Try it mixed with some Lombard! It adds a bit of spice that's just right!

Last edited:

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hey Dale!! how are you doing?
Doing OK Bro, TY for asking. Hope all is well with you. I'm recovering still from several post cancer treatment surgeries but "recovering" is the key word there. Now, my Wife is dealing with a work-related back injury "flair-up" since October, so we're coping with that.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I went crazy on ebay last year and bought a bunch of estate pipes. Nothing special, just cheapies. Have a modest collection of tobacco. Just don't have as much time as I would like for the pipe.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I went crazy on ebay last year and bought a bunch of estate pipes. Nothing special, just cheapies. Have a modest collection of tobacco. Just don't have as much time as I would like for the pipe.

Sounds like what I did as well. eBay can be a Piper's best friend, if you keep a level head and avoid the bidding wars.

As for the time to smoke, if you can only make a little time for the pipe, you'll grow to love it.

Hardcore

BoM April '09
Rating - 100%
148   0   0
I think I would like to try a pipe. I'm going to look into what I need to get started. I'll try & keep my costs down so if don't enjoy it I'm not out a bunch of cash. But I doubt it'll replace my cigars.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All you need to get started is a corncob pipe, some Prince Albert (or other inexpensive) tobacco, a pipe tool, a lighter or matches, and a few pipe cleaners and you're all set. I will recommend a Missouri Meerschaum cob pipe as there are few better and the prices are great.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1—2 bowls a day since I was in high school, before the Lewis & Clark expedition.

Started as a Latakia lover (Rattray's Red Rappary; Balkan Sobranie; Nightcap) slowly evolved into a Virginia and Virginia/Périque smoker. I am now delightedly exploring every Oriental mix without Latakia I can find.

I prefer medium-to-small, traditional-looking briars, with an occasional Meerschaum caper.

cashedash

illusione
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have bought a Dr. Grabow and some cherry tobacco. I have only smoked a couple bowls but I hope to enjoy many more. Supposing my mom and dad are okay with it once I tell them I want to pick up the pipe.

DSturg369

Pipe Smokin' Country Boy
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If the cherry is too much for you, try cutting it 50/50 with some Prince Albert or Carter Hall. You'll still have good cherry flavors and add the good burley essence and burn of the latter two as well.