What's new

pistol box advice

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
ok gents... need some advice.
Ive purchased a gun for the home and while I wait for background to clear I have been researching gun safes/gun boxes. I know they won't be as secure as a real safe, this is more something to keep my wife happy and in case I do need to keep it locked up (like when the cleaning people or any maintenance people show up).
Its only myself and the wife (no kids) and we are in a one bedroom condo that requires going upstairs to get to the main floor. So in a case where someone did get in and if we woke up to realize this we would not have much time (seconds) to get the gun and be ready. This will be on my side of the bed because I will have a better defense position with a clearer line of sight out the door from my side of the bed.

I keep thinking a biometric access box would be fastest BUT that requires power (usually batteries) and there is a reliability factor that plays into this decision as well. I keep going back and forth between the three below. There are pluses and minuses to each.
So here are three that I keep going back to... Id love your opinions or experiences:
Sentry - great price http://www.costco.com/.product.841185.html
The Gunboax 2.0 - I chose the 2.0 over the Echo for the lid lift: https://www.thegunbox.com/collections/frontpage/products/the-gunbox-2-0
Titan - no electronics here: http://www.titangunsafe.com/2/60-TITAN_Gun_Safe_Pistol_Vault.html

PetersCreek

Brother Borealis
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I have the non-biometric SpeedVault by GunVault. It falls open when unlocked, presenting the firearm in a grip-ready position. It does take batteries but they last a long time and I replace them on regular basis, before they need it.

My take on biometric locks is they work pretty good...most of the time. My iPhone convinces me that I don't want a gun safe that could take three tries to open. Then there's the worst case scenario: your fingers my not be clean and dry when you need your pistol. If you really want a bio-lock, I recommend a model that offers dual controls.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
43   0   0
I ended up going with the Sentry mainly because the wife likes it best. She didn't want to have anything visible (that nixed the Gun Vault) but if this Sentry doesn't work out Im going to have to find another solution thats fully non-electronic like the Titan. I just don't like the direction the Titan would be opening if mounted inside a nightstand or under the bed. That all has to do with it being on my side. if it was on hers it would be perfect.
Ill report back with results and long term viability.

BTW... if anyone thinks I made a mistake and has a better suggestions please say something. My feelings won't be hurt.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sorry I didn't see this earlier.
I have a FAS1 www.fas1safe.com/
They're very heavy and well built and they spring open presenting the pistol grip for quick access. I've been very happy with it.
I like the idea of a biometric safe but I was not willing to accept something that a. required electricity or batteries or b. wasn't 100% going to work every single time.

Rating - 100%
27   0   0
I don't know if these are great or horrible - I did look at them once at a gun show and they seemed very solid. The locking mechanism uses five buttons that you hit in a certain combination and opens up. Seemed pretty slick. Something else to look at anyway.

It's not showing up on the Fort Knox website for some reason. Found this reseller site with pictures though...

http://www.deansafe.com/fort-knox-handgun-safes.html

dscl

BoM October '14
Rating - 100%
68   0   0
I was recently in this same boat and I went with the GunBox Echo. The RFID option is was sold me on it. While I can use biometric my thought is in a intruder situation would i be able to unlock it reliably. Now with the bracelet it's a wave over the top and open she goes.

Rating - 100%
11   0   0
I found all of the "fast access" safes to be very underwhelming. If it's on night duty, it goes on my night stand. Otherwise, it is holstered on my person or locked away in the real safe.
You don't have kids, they throw a wrench in that plan. In MN it can be a felony to allow access to a firearm by a child.

Rating - 100%
47   0   0
I saw the Titan's in person at a gun show and they looked really well built. I like that once it's open it presents the gun to you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Gunvault on the nightstand with a XDm in it. I used a simple combination (would still be exceedingly difficult to guess, as you can set it up with simultaneous presses). I can get into it in a couple of seconds, it's 3-4 years old, and still on the original battery (I open it about once/week). My EDC stays on me or on top @ night.