What's new

Planning a smoking room....

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
Hi All! Been thinking about this since I moved into my new home (1 ½ yrs ago) and I think I’ll be finishing off the basement as a smoking/play room for myself. The wife thinks it’s a great idea since I can’t smoke in the new house. Plus, the coffee stuff is starting to crowd her out of the kitchen…… :wink:

Anyhow, I’ll be doing some research, but I though the botl community may have had some experience with building smoking rooms and venting them. I will be putting in a drop ceiling and most likely studding/paneling the block walls. I’d like to have the air cycle through a filter and return to the room so as not to waste heat if possible. Any experience with CFM rates to maintain a breathable environment for non participating occupants?

Any other suggestions you might have would be welcome. Haven’t decided whether or not I’ll be building in a humi or not….. But there will be an espresso bar, wet bar and video game area. :clap:

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
I think a majority of the input would be based on your budget. I know one fella who has the ULTIMATE system built into his smoking room but couldn't even begin to speculate on the cost of such a system. I can tell you that it is better than ANY system I have ever seen in action (personal or commercial).

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Very nice. When I finally get a house I want to do something like this too.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
I guess I was thinking along the lines of a series of intake/return ducting and a central air circulating/hepa filter unit. Of course, budget is important, but I have a blank slate so to speak and can do a lot of the work myself.