Votes: 97 96.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0
I recently made a box purchase from an online retailer. Upon receiving and opening the box I was greeted by the following:

I requested that they take it back and the retailer has agreed to an exchange but in the process we had a slight disagreement whether this was mold or plume. I'm quite confident that I know which is which but thought I would get some additional opinions and comments from the brotherhood.

So what do you think?......Plume or mold?

Attachments

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
no doubt that is mold, is the retailer a local shop or an online shop?

Agentskull

BoM Feb 14
Rating - 100%
52   0   0
Mold. Most online retailers over humidify. Plume would be over the entire cigar and not just spotty. Two other things. Most online retailers don't hold inventory long enough for plume to build. If I am not mistaken isn't plume caused by extreme age in the right conditions? Four kicks aren't that old.

Sent from my HTC One V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Rupe! That sucks man. I mean, glad they're fixing it, but sad that they have to argue about it.

On a side note/question, I dont think Plume would show up on the foot of a cigar, or at least not like Mold does. I'd be curious if there was any mold on the foot as well. That in my opinion would not be debatable.

-Chrisso

Rating - 100%
28   0   0
"we had a slight disagreement whether this was mold or plume."

Did the retailer see a picture or were they basing their conclusion on a description? It seems outlandish anyone with modest cigar experience could argue for plume, lol

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0

Did the retailer see a picture or were they basing their conclusion on a description? It seems outlandish anyone with modest cigar experience could argue for plume, lol
You would really be surprised how many working in shops don't even know the difference. Back-in-the-day I ordered some cigars that arrived moldy and I contacted them about it, they replied by sending me an email explaining the difference between mold and plume and without even seeing it they told me it was plume. I took a picture and sent it to them and explained that I worked in a cigar store and what they had sent me was in fact moldy cigars. They then told me to send them back and I was refunded the money, but I have a feeling they were hoping I would take what they said as true and keep thier moldy cigars, I never ordered from them again.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Rupe - I'm not sure what the status is on this mess--but I did see this and saw the cigars in question were FOUR KICKS(!)...

Regardless, please email me directly at Huber@CrownedHeads.com. I want to 'make good' on this problem. For what it's worth....my rule of thumb is that if there's anything 'fuzzy' on the foot, chances are it's mold.

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience, and I hope to hear from you soon.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads

Rupe

Suburban robot that monitors reality -BOM Feb.'13
Rating - 100%
401   0   0

You would really be surprised how many working in shops don't even know the difference. Back-in-the-day I ordered some cigars that arrived moldy and I contacted them about it, they replied by sending me an email explaining the difference between mold and plume and without even seeing it they told me it was plume. I took a picture and sent it to them and explained that I worked in a cigar store and what they had sent me was in fact moldy cigars. They then told me to send them back and I was refunded the money, but I have a feeling they were hoping I would take what they said as true and keep thier moldy cigars, I never ordered from them again.
Craig's answer is right on the money and pretty much nails the way that I feel about the situation.

Chief StrongLeaf - I did offer to send a photo but they chose to stick with a scripted answer. Here is how the exchange went down.

Rupe - I received a box of cigars from you yesterday (Four Kicks Robusto Extra). I removed the cellophane and opened it just now to and discovered that the cigars inside are covered in mold. (yes it's mold, not plume). I would be happy to send you a photo if you need one.

Retailer - We’re sorry to hear about the cigars you received. I would be happy to set up a return for them. First, I want to make sure that it is mold that you have on your cigars and not plume. Plume or bloom, is a fine white powder or dust which forms on cigars when oils exude from the tobacco and crystallize on the wrapper as a result of aging. This can happen with any cigar, but you are more likely to see it with a Maduro cigar as the wrapper tends to be oilier. Also, since the wrapper is darker, the white crystals show more vividly. Plume is a good sign that a cigar has been properly aged and can easily be brushed off the cigar. Mold, however, is a bluish or greenish fungus that stains the wrapper and does not brush off very easily. We hope this information helps you to determine if you have mold or plume. If you conclude that it is mold on your cigars, please let me know how many uncut/unsmoked cigars you will be returning. We will then ship out a prepaid UPS shipping label for your return. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with.

Rupe - I am well versed on the difference between mold and plume as I have seen both. Although the mold on these cigars is white, it is splotchy and hairy and not evenly distributed. As mentioned before I would be happy to send you a photo if you need to confirm. It is definitely mold. I have an entire box of 24 cigars and would like a replacement, not a refund. please let me know the next step.

Retailer - Thank you for your response and patience. As per your response it appears the cigars have plume. We can set up a return and send a shipping label on your behalf. Once we receive the cigars back it may take 5-10 business days to process your return. Once the order is processed would you like a refund or exchange? Please let me know how you would like to proceed?If you have any additional questions or concerns please let me know.

Rupe - I understand that as a customer service person and are replying as you have been told to reply but as someone who has seen both mold and plume (and knows the difference) these cigars definitely do not have plume. Plume is the result of the oil coming out of the cigar during the aging process. If these cigars had plume they would be covered with a fine white dust. That is not the case here.The splotches are fuzzy and only cover random parts of the cigars. It is 100% mold. Please set up the return and send the shipping label. Once you have processed the return I would like to have you replace it with a new box. Before you ship them however I would like to have someone on your end open the box and inspect it so that I do not end up with another box of moldy cigars. Please let me know what the next step is.

MoJo

BoM March 2013
Rating - 100%
192   0   0
Rupe - I'm not sure what the status is on this mess--but I did see this and saw the cigars in question were FOUR KICKS(!)...

Regardless, please email me directly at Huber@CrownedHeads.com. I want to 'make good' on this problem. For what it's worth....my rule of thumb is that if there's anything 'fuzzy' on the foot, chances are it's mold.

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Class act, very nice to offer to make it right even though the fault is on the retailer (IMO)

xFreebirdx

Patriot Guard Rider
Rating - 100%
42   0   0

Jon Huber
Crowned Heads
Nice job man. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.