What's new

Por Larranaga Magnifico

LiLo

Fire me up a
Rating - 98.7%
103   1   1
Today i smoked Probably one of the best cigars to come out of Cuba this decade. It is certainly the best regional hands down. It's the Por Larranaga magnifico. The cigar is a replica of the famous Por Larrañaga Magnum which was discontinued in the 70's. It's a tad bit shorter than the original measuring 50 x 6.7. We can thank Simon Chase, the marketing director of Hunters & Frankau for this cigar. It was his idea. And what an idea it was!! This is the 3rd one that i have smoked and the first two were spectacular. Lets see how this one stacks up...

Pre Light

The wrapper is a beautiful golden brown. It has a nice wrapper, no real big veins although it's quite lumpy. There are little bumps here and there along the wrapper. The Band is an absolute show stopper. very elegant and looks amazing with the second regional band. I get a sweet tobacco aroma mixed with a bit of that cuban barnyard aroma we have all come to know and love so much. On the pre light draw i got a nice cedar flavor with a touch of sweetness.

1/3

This cigar takes no time in warming up. Right off the bat i am hit with very strong flavors of cedar, mellow chocolate flavors and a beautiful creaminess. I am already thankful that this is a large stick. it's shaping up to be a great one...

2/3

The second third i am still getting that nice cedar flavor and now a nutty flavor. specifically cashews. Just a gorgeous sweet nutty flavor. Every few draws i get a nice floral note that comes and goes and Loads of creaminess on the finish as well. A buttery creaminess that completely takes over your palette. very nice. very complex flavors. Very easy drawing cigar. Not loose, not tight, just perfect.

3/3

In the final third i am starting to realize the inevitable. That this cigar has to end soon and i really don't want it to! A more earthy chocolate tone has set stage and i am loving the complexity it's showing. Still a lovely velvety cream on the finish and a nice hint of spice that gives it some power at the end. The cedar flavor kind of comes and goes in place of the floral notes from the second third. I am able to nub this quite easily.

Final thoughts:

I have to say this is one of the best cigars i have had this year. From what i have heard this was a great cigar right when it came out but i imagine these 2-3 years have done something beautiful to this cigar. It has a nice aged flavor very similar to the couple Cohiba gran reserva's i have had or cohiba lancero's from the early 90's. It's not as strong. It's definitely a mild-medium body cigar but the flavors are just so poignant and the cigar is just real easy to smoke. Perfect summer time cigar. These are kind of tought to find and very expensive but i feel they are worth every penny.

rating: 96

Rating - 100%
179   0   0
Love you review. I had forgotten about this one Simon Chase was raving about. Cool pics as well, that may be the best Cuban label I've seen. I am going to have to start looking out for these.

SkinsFanLarry

Craft Beer Addict!
Rating - 100%
78   0   0
Excellant review and pic's Lilo! :thumbsup:

That is definately a beautiful looking cigar.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
Man sounds like an good cigar. I passed on these when they came out because of the price.

Posted via Mobile Device

Hot_Sauce

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
Rating - 100%
126   0   0
Very nice review and pic's. I hope to give this cigar a try and have the same experience as you.