What's new

post 5100 Virginia fixes?

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Anyone come up with a "go to" red virginia in lieue of dearly departed McC's 5100?
I ordered some bulk Sutliff Red Virginia Ribbon and some bulk Sutliff Virginia Slices 507C from p and c. They have 20% off all bulk Sutliff this month.
Hoping that can stand in once the rest of my 5100 is gone. We'll see.

Rating - 100%
61   0   0
I haven't smoked anything that resembles McClelland Reds. There are alot of good VAs and VaPers out there, Samuel Gawith FVF and SJF, Dunhill Dark Flake and Navy Rolls, Escudo, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, Solani 633, Orlik Golden Sliced, C&D Opening Night and Red Carpet....
I have enjoyed all the above but they aren't the same as McClelland.

bostoneo

The Chosen One
Rating - 100%
400   0   0
McCranie’s has a Red Ribbon which is rumored to be MCClelland. I haven’t tried it and it’s out of stock, of course. They don’t accept credit cards, only checks or money orders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They still have some Virginia mixed with Cavendish. Somerland. Non Air O-Matic. You place your order online and then they ship it to you with an invoice and you mail them a check or money order like the old days

Rating - 100%
107   0   0
They still have some Virginia mixed with Cavendish. Somerland. Non Air O-Matic. You place your order online and then they ship it to you with an invoice and you mail them a check or money order like the old days

I know, I have 4 tins of Somerland on the way!

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
The other thing to try is Peretti's. Some of their flakes are either sourced from the same place the McClelland's got their VAs from or are actually produced by McClelland. I ordered 2 lbs of the Oxford Flake.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Well, damn. Peretti's canceled my order saying they are backordered on the Oxford Flake now too and don't know when they will be able to get any more. So much for that :(

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
well for shits and giggles i bought a pound of whole leaf flue cured red virginia and going to try my hand at de-stemming, shredding and casing it and see what I end up with after some aging.

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
my 2 cents . . 1st, nobody did red VAs like McClelland, so you can only come close. 2nd - this might be the closest thing I have tried to specifically 5100 : http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2647/g-l-pease-laurel-heights
It does have just a touch of Latakia to it, but doesnt taste like its there - def adds a little richness to it - i will be buying more

I will also mirror @JZBdano 's opinion, that I do quite like C&D Red Carpet & opening night - they are just different and do need some aging time. Similarly is Pease Union Square