What's new

Pre Tech Humidor

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So, cigars have been around for hundreds of years and thinking about the present day importance of storing cigars at just the right temperature and humidity, how the heck did they maintain cigars before the hygrometer was invented?

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
From what I understand, it used to be out of necessity that people would dip their cigar in liquor or lick it down before lighting to make it moist enough to smoke. Of course, Im 24 so I take boveda for granted haha other than that I would guess that many more used that crappy green floral foam and tap water.
I do know most antique humidors are lined with glass or ceramic though.

Rating - 100%
14   0   0
well, i mean they still had analog hyrgrometers, and given that there were people back then who could work on things like that (watchmakers etc) you probably could get a fairly accurate analog hygrometer. You would i imagine have to open the humidor to lower high RH when possible, be careful of room temp, etc.

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Gotta remember just what kind of cigars most people smoked, not sure they where as nuanced as what we have the pleasure of smoking now. The average smoker could not afford cigars that where shipped across the country. Most tobacco was grown and rolled locally or received in barrels and then rolled as needed. Depending on the time frame you're speaking about of course.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Gotta remember just what kind of cigars most people smoked, not sure they where as nuanced as what we have the pleasure of smoking now. The average smoker could not afford cigars that where shipped across the country. Most tobacco was grown and rolled locally or received in barrels and then rolled as needed. Depending on the time frame you're speaking about of course.
Hmmmmm, I had not considered that, I imagine back in the day there were tobacco farms all over the USA, the sight of a tobacco curing barn was probably an every day thing!

IronW

Andrew
Rating - 100%
23   0   0
I know a guy who simply keeps a shot glass of distilled water in his humidor. He said it stays at a perfect 70%. I imagine pre tech humidors would have used a similar approach.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I would think that the purchasing of large numbers of cigars and the concept of aging them only came about when humidors became well controlled. Before the hygrometer was commonly used I think cigars were made, purchased and smoked. Long-term storage was not a consideration.