What's new

Predicting/asking about flavours

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys!

I am wondering what people know about how to predict the kinds of flavours that are going to come in a cigar. Lately I have been trying to find sweeter cigars because I had a really sweet one which was a Macanudo Inspirado Broadleaf and enjoyed it a lot. I was told by someone that Maduros sometimes are sweeter so I have been buying some Maduros hoping I will find that sweetness again but no luck. Is there any way to predict what flavours might come with a cigar bases on brand, colour, etc.? Not just mild/medium/full but also sweetness, different flavours like fruit or nuts. And is it reasonable to ask a staff member and a B&M for a cigar that has a specific flavour profile or is that getting too specific? Let me know what you think :) have a good day everyone

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hi guys!

I am wondering what people know about how to predict the kinds of flavours that are going to come in a cigar. Lately I have been trying to find sweeter cigars because I had a really sweet one which was a Macanudo Inspirado Broadleaf and enjoyed it a lot. I was told by someone that Maduros sometimes are sweeter so I have been buying some Maduros hoping I will find that sweetness again but no luck. Is there any way to predict what flavours might come with a cigar bases on brand, colour, etc.? Not just mild/medium/full but also sweetness, different flavours like fruit or nuts. And is it reasonable to ask a staff member and a B&M for a cigar that has a specific flavour profile or is that getting too specific? Let me know what you think :) have a good day everyone
It is perfectly reasonable to ask the staff member for a flavor profile. Just realize that even two sticks from the same box can taste slightly different. So, finding an exact match to the profile you want may be hard.

Also remember that everything changes the taste of a cigar, or seems to. What you drink, what you eat, pollen exposure, dust exposure levels, medicines, and how the cigar is stored are all factors in the experience. So, that great sweetness may have been a combination of factors. I would look more for a flavor "neighborhood" than a flavor profile and learn what goes well with it.

You could decide to make an adventure out of cigars. Smoke from across the spectrum and take in the full breadth of what nature has to offer.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
You could decide to make an adventure out of cigars. Smoke from across the spectrum and take in the full breadth of what nature has to offer.
Mike speaks the 1000% absolute truth. Trying any and all types of cigars is an awesome and fun adventure, as well as a way to discover variations across brands/wrappers/vitolas/etc. When I started my cigar journey, I actually posted on here asking similar questions, and arrived at similar conclusions (that I would like Maduros better because of the chocolate/coffee/etc notes that they are supposed to have, etc). What I have found is that I really REALLY enjoy just lighting up a stick without really knowing anything about it, and then seeing if I enjoy it or not. I also find myself gravitating toward brands rather than wrappers/styles. For me, it's a matter of finding that brand that just seems to speak to me in terms of its overall lineup. While flavors vary based on wrapper/vitola, you'll find that certain brands seem to have common profiles across all their cigars. Want my advice? Join a cigar of the month club. You'll have zero choice in the sticks they send you and will end up trying things you never would have otherwise.

All this to say, your way might be how you enjoy approaching cigars, and you should enjoy the journey! I used to love researching different wrappers, etc and then ordering different sticks with those wrappers to see if I could pick up notes. There is no wrong way to go about this.

Oh, and for sweeter cigars? Sobremesa Brulee. It's like a slice of delicious French toast. :D

highsierrasmokin'

The battle's fought, the deed is done
Rating - 100%
25   0   0
What Mike said. This became my mission a few years ago and it has been a very interesting ride. I too like the sweeter blends and have found a bunch of them on my journey.
I can't say that I can look at a cigar or read the blend and detect sweetness though.

Texican

Suburban Legend
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I should add that there are some times (usually in the colder months) where I want SWEET sweet. Those times, I'll bust out one of the pipes and go with a nice Cavendish/aromatic blend. My current favorite is one called Hobbits Blend or something...it is cherry vanilla awesomeness. Goes well with a glass of port for that over-the-top sweet experience.

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
connecticut broadleaf maduro has sweetness.

I expect sweetness in milder cigars with light connecticut wrappers too.

Equadoran leaf does not usually have the same level of sweetness.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
And is it reasonable to ask a staff member and a B&M for a cigar that has a specific flavour profile
That's literally the one advantage to using a local shop. Otherwise you may as well order online. Any reputable shop staff will be able to give you some suggestions for cigars in a profile you're looking for.

Keep in mind, how the cigars you purchased were stored plays a huge role in flavor. If you ordered online, they were stored at a high RH, and them shipped to you. I don't smoke cigars purchased online for 3-6 months, generally speaking. If you bought at a B&M, it would depend on how they store and how long stock had rested there.

Based on your specific desire for sweetness in a maduro, I would look at blends with a colorado broadleaf wrapper and sumatra binder. As a guy who likes dry, woody/leathery medium profiles, It's a combination I personally dislike, but find that a lot of guys really love.

Also, I wonder if the sheer power of a lot of maduros is turning you off. Crowned Heads Jericho Hill and Le Careme are a couple specific cigars you might try. The Jericho Hill will be heavier on the chocolate side (I swear its like smoking a brownie) and the Le Careme will be more on the syrupy sweet side, due to the sumatra binder. Also, a lot of the maduros in the Hererra Esteli line from Drew Estate will also give you that profile.