What's new

Prepping binder and wrapper leaves

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had challenges in getting CT1DW wrapper leaves to stay flat. They are very large and come folded into sticks. I had an opportunity to roll in front of a few friends the other day, and one of them made a comment which got me thinking: would it be advisable to prep stubborn wrapper leaves by moistening and then ironing them with a steam iron set on cool? I realize that a medium or high heat setting would alter the flavor by toasting the leaf, and I realize it would require a steam iron dedicated to that purpose. Waddaya think? Anyone tried it?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found that with the leaf you are using, if you pre roll with a round rod, or the bound cigar, then unroll it, then re roll. The leaf starts to be easier to use

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Once you get it trimmed down, leave the final stretch for the cigar. try lifting the doll up and, pulling back gently while holding the wrapper down with your other hand before going forward.
Favor the outside edge in tautness.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Once you get it trimmed down, leave the final stretch for the cigar. try lifting the doll up and, pulling back gently while holding the wrapper down with your other hand before going forward.
Favor the outside edge in tautness.
The biggest challenge I have faced is trimming the display edge. If its not flat before trimming I end up with bumps and pennants that have to be re-trimmed while I'm rolling ( hold cigar with one hand, hold wrapper with one hand, hold chaveta with one hand... you get the point) with wrapper that ship flat, I get a much better finished product. I am seriously considering not reordering this wrapper, just ran out last weekend.

I hadn't considered wrapping it around a cylinder. I assume you de-stem it first, then wrap it tip to stem? I have a hunk of 4" PVC I could experiment with, although the leaf would most likely dry out if I leave it out of the bag overnight.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I get it super wet, wrap it around something while unfolding the leaf as I go to get the display edge as rolled out as I can, then I let it dry a bit before wrapping. Then cut after you get the edge to lay flat

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Yes I get it super wet, wrap it around something while unfolding the leaf as I go to get the display edge as rolled out as I can, then I let it dry a bit before wrapping. Then cut after you get the edge to lay flat
Time works. Dampen it & let it set all day. Tickle it out flat as you can & let it set all night. Remove the stem, stretch it out as best you can & let it set all day. Remove the middle crescent & tickle it out & let it set all night.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Time works. Dampen it & let it set all day. Tickle it out flat as you can & let it set all night. Remove the stem, stretch it out as best you can & let it set all day. Remove the middle crescent & tickle it out & let it set all night.
You're doing a lot of tickling. You must end up with very jolly wrappers :)

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I prefer a wet method that is used by many professional rollers. The leaf is wet and will stick down like wall paper. It requires the use of a smooth non-porous surface. Most pros use stainless steel. (I use polished granite) It gives you very precise cuts and the wrapper drys back to normal in a day or two.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does it stick flat even if its wrinkly, or do you have to filet it into a wrap ready strip? The leaves that are troubling me are approximately 18" long.

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Does it stick flat even if its wrinkly, or do you have to filet it into a wrap ready strip? The leaves that are troubling me are approximately 18" long.
Try it. Cut yourself an over-sized strip, lay it down on the wet, and stretch it out. You can trim the edge later. Can get a 2 foot by 1 foot tile at Home Despot for under three bucks.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it. Cut yourself an over-sized strip, lay it down on the wet, and stretch it out. You can trim the edge later. Can get a 2 foot by 1 foot tile at Home Despot for under three bucks.
Eggs ackley! The smoother/glossy the tile surface the better it will stick.

Rating - 100%
64   0   0
Fundamentals are under-rated by some here. Heads-up. Long run they will get you farther and better.
Agreed. Super stretchy leaf like broadleaf needs a pre-stretch before you wrap with it. Use your thigh, your ladies thigh, something with a curve you can pull both ends of the leaf against. One major thing nobody can teach you is an intimate knowledge of how each leaf is going to react. How long will it take to case, how much moisture it needs, its tensile strength, etc.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Fundamentals are under-rated by some here. Heads-up. Long run they will get you farther and better.
I think thats what I was saying.. if the leaf is held under water, maybe it couldn't get any wetter. NO! it needs what ever time it needs to get there. can't be understated.