What's new

Primer for new members?

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys,

I suppose what I'm asking for in a nutshell is a mentor. I stumbled onto this site (and quickly searched for others, but seem to like this one best so far) and really enjoy it so far. Everyone seems knowledgeable, enthusiastic and helpful.

Now then..... I see references to several group participation activities that I would like to get involved in, but really don't know how to enlist or do. For instance: How to participate in box splits, cigar trades (what's the best method of packaging/shipping?) and, ahem, how to obtain the "quality smokes" most members seem to have in their collections (I wanna trade fairly. I have great domestics, but not the others).

I realize I am new and an unknown factor. If anyone is looking to take on an interested padowan (is that how to spell them jedis in training?), I'd be grateful. I've read plenty enough and have smoked enough domestics to have a good feel for the concept of cigars. It's the international market cigars and the cigar forum format/general practices that I am interested in learning more about.

I'm available for PM's. My private e-mail is badhangover@aol.com.

Gracias for your time,
Raymond

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Raymond,

You'll find this whole board will act as a mentor. Any questions you have just ask and you'll get a ton of replies. More information than one person could ever give to you.

Welcome to BOTL, a great resource to learn about cigars!

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
caudio51 said:
Raymond,

You'll find this whole board will act as a mentor. Any questions you have just ask and you'll get a ton of replies. More information than one person could ever give to you.

Welcome to BOTL, a great resource to learn about cigars!
:1st:

Several times I have thought about proposing a help a newbie program.
Having a FOG be assigned a newbie and have them show him the way.
the only problem with that on here is. When a new guy shows up that WANTS to listen and read and learn, EVERYBODY on here tries to help them.
There is a lot of benefit to having a bunch of people looking out for you than just one.

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
The best thing a new person can do here is read alot of posts about protocol and the way WE do things HERE. We are different than any other board.

We have been here a year and most of the basic questions have been asked.
Read some old threads and learn. Introduce yourself in our intro room. Make a post in the "what do you do and what else do you do" thread. What ever your interest are, chances are that someone else here has similar.

No flaming or bashing but a bit of good natured ribbing can happen here.
Usually Tobby4 or Dwavs get and or give it.

:agreesmil :agreesmil :agreesmil :agreesmil :agreesmil :applause: :applause: :applause: :applause:

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
badhangover said:
Now then..... I see references to several group participation activities that I would like to get involved in, but really don't know how to enlist or do. For instance: How to participate in box splits, cigar trades (what's the best method of packaging/shipping?) and, ahem, how to obtain the "quality smokes" most members seem to have in their collections (I wanna trade fairly. I have great domestics, but not the others).
Just give it time man. You can't really acquire the amount of cigars that some members have taken years to get. Sit back and see how everything is done here before you hop into a box-split or box-pass. It's always good to read first and then do it afterwards. If you ship naked cigars, then you need to use individual baggies like: 2x8 Inch baggies

As for shipping, use www.usps.com and register there if you haven't. You can ship about 7-10 cigars for $3.85 and you get a free Delivery Confirmation and save yourself $.45 cents because you did it online. Be sure to order the large Priority VCR boxes for shipping them.

Priority Mail

Click on Priority Mail and they are the 1096L and 1096S.

I realize I am new and an unknown factor. If anyone is looking to take on an interested padowan (is that how to spell them jedis in training?), I'd be grateful. I've read plenty enough and have smoked enough domestics to have a good feel for the concept of cigars. It's the international market cigars and the cigar forum format/general practices that I am interested in learning more about.

I'm available for PM's. My private e-mail is badhangover@aol.com.

Gracias for your time,
Raymond
Hope this helps a little bit man! :thumbsup:

Wasch_24

2005 BoY
Rating - 100%
196   0   0
As has been stated already, ask and you shall recieve bro. If you feel like it might be a question that has already been asked and are hesitant to post it because you haven't found an answer either post it anyway or send me a PM.

Good shipping tips can be found here.

As for box splits and such, just keep your eyes open. The come up sporadically.

As far as board manners go just try to keep to the topic of the thread and don't ask too many unrelated questions in each thread, just start a seperate new thread.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
john tripp said:
No flaming or bashing but a bit of good natured ribbing can happen here.
Usually Tobby4 or Dwavs get and or give it.
How dare you use that pansies name in the same sentence as mine!

:grin:

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
And....welcome aboard Raymond!

As others have said, spend a day or two reading the threads and a majority of your questions will be answered. Be sure and set your options in your User CP to see all the threads from the beginning so you aren't missing any of them.

David

tripp

MASTER SHAKE
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
:stretchgr :stretchgr :stretchgr I am just trying to make Clay feel better.:stretchgr :stretchgr :stretchgr

Are you gonna help me today? Coffee is ready and I brought a couple of punch with me today.

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
I don't know aboutwe, but I think you should just start sending out smokes to us on a regular basis! Welcome aboard. Just ask questions and you shall receive the tutoring you need!

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
And make sure to check the "stickies" at the top of the forums. Usually the major questions are answered in these.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Jwrussell said:
And make sure to check the "stickies" at the top of the forums. Usually the major questions are answered in these.
Very true :crackwhip

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks all for your responses. And thanks CVM and Wasch for your shipping tips. I would'a had no clue. I go through the old threads as time permits, but oftentimes I need to be conked over the head with good info.

Thanks again

:scratchhe .........:thinkidea