What's new

privacy invasion

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Did you know someone can get directions to your house by typing in your phone number!!!!!!!!!!!

www.google.com

type in your phone number(ie:555-555-5555) and hit search. Follow the link and you can get directions right to your home. Anyone can do this.

to remove your number, click on the telephone icon or "phone results" next to your number.
Removal can take up to 48 hrs.

I personally find this to be pretty scary.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
This only works if your home number is listed in the phone book (in most cases).
You already agreed to list your number, so it being on the internet is not a huge jump.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is still listed as the previous phone owner... :smile:

But now i know why i get phone calls from non-english speaking people :smt082 :smt082

Rating - 100%
76   0   0
Kingston said:
This only works if your home number is listed in the phone book (in most cases).
You already agreed to list your number, so it being on the internet is not a huge jump.
Being on the internet is one thing, but being able to link to actual directions to the home of the number? That ain't right.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
stogies&hoagies said:
Being on the internet is one thing, but being able to link to actual directions to the home of the number? That ain't right.
I'm not surprised.

If the number is not "UNLISTED" then you can get the name and address from many sources (depending on what you enter when you register the phone number). Then go to any mapping website and I can get driving directions from my front door to your front door.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Sorry, but this is one of the reasons I've always had an unlisted number. By letting your number get listed, you agree to let it (and your address) be available to ANYONE that wants it.

David

<b>Co-founder</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
135   0   0
Kingston said:
Sorry, but this is one of the reasons I've always had an unlisted number. By letting your number get listed, you agree to let it (and your address) be available to ANYONE that wants it.
Does it cost anything to have your number unlisted?

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Kingston said:
Not the case. My GF parents have an unlisted number and it still works for them. Scary indeed. More of a reason in my opinion not to make enemies in life.

Kingston

Surly
Rating - 100%
32   0   0
Did they ever have that number listed and have since switched to unlisted?
If a number has ever been linked to a name in a phonebook it'll still show up. It all depends of course on the phone companies

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I used to unlist my number for a few bucks a month, then I got pissed at my phone company and shut it off and now use my work cell phone exclusively. Been happily home-phone-less now for over 2 years.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
My wife just can't let go of the Home Phone. Otherwise I wouldn't even have one. I guess I'm lucky, my number doesn't come up at all.