What's new

Problems - Rhino Sport Grip

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok I recently received a Rhino Sport Grip, first off, it feels very solid, it has a very nice weight to it.

#1 - I never really had a refillable lighter which did not have a window. It is a nightmare to fill. Can't tell if its full or I am just improperly jamming the head of the butane can into the hole.

#2 - Lighting a cigar is a bitch. This is my first jet flame lighter, I specifically purchased it for lighting cigars while outside. Ummm. yeah. It is quite difficult to SEE the flame, so its hard to direct the cigar.

#3 - The "impact zone" of the flame is very narrow, effectively only lighting a small area of a robusto at a time.

Question #1 - Am I simply retarded (I know this may seem an obvious YES, but I'm seriously asking.)

Question #2 - Is a triple (jet) flame any better for any of these problems.

Question #3 - Should I abandon all hope and stick with my soft flame lighters.

Question #4 - Is there some magic technique for lighting cigars with a jet flame which elludes me.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Triple torch would give you more of an area to get an even burn.

I try to find shady spot to stand in so that I can see the flame when I use my torch lighter outside.

I don't use my torch lighter that often though, I have been using one of the long bic candle lighters.

smokingIsh

BoM July '09
Rating - 100%
171   0   0
I too smoke outside often. I went to bed, bath, and beyond and purchased a creme brule' torch (culinary torch) for 9.99 on sale. It is very good for toasting and lighting and is my lighter of choice for home use. Only drawback is it is not very good if traveling (very large). The pistol grip gives you very nice control and you really don't need to see the flame because you can hear the roar once it ignites and the cigar immediately turns to white ash when flame comes in contact with the cigar.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12371578

jrohrer

BoM Jan '07
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
I too smoke outside often. I went to bed, bath, and beyond and purchased a creme brule' torch (culinary torch) for 9.99 on sale. It is very good for toasting and lighting and is my lighter of choice for home use. Only drawback is it is not very good if traveling (very large). The pistol grip gives you very nice control and you really don't need to see the flame because you can hear the roar once it ignites and the cigar immediately turns to white ash when flame comes in contact with the cigar.

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=12371578
nice...and it comes with 4 little ashtrays!!

:stretchgr

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Everytime I think of lighting something with a Rhino my Bar-B-Q comes to mind and I'll start to shake. Anyone else have a positive experience with Rhino lighters and not the propane tanks?

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I have a Nibo triple flame. That thing puts off a flame so big it will singe your eyebrows! I was actually thinking of getting a single torch to get better control of lighting my cigars.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
... Question #1 - Am I simply retarded (I know this may seem an obvious YES, but I'm seriously asking.)

Question #2 - Is a triple (jet) flame any better for any of these problems.

Question #3 - Should I abandon all hope and stick with my soft flame lighters.

Question #4 - Is there some magic technique for lighting cigars with a jet flame which elludes me.
#1 - You get used to using a torch in bright daylight by listening to the sound rather than trying to see the flame.

#2 - A triple flame will probably light it faster, but not necessarily any more evenly.

#3 - Soft flames work fine indoors, but not very well outdoors. Stick with the torch, at least when you go outside.

#4 - Hold the torch at about a 45-degree angle to the foot and rotate the cigar so that the foot gets warmed pretty evenly. Some people like to keep that going to the point where the foot is actually completely glowing without even puffing. Then put the cigar in your mouth, hold the flame below the foot, and start puffing while rotating the cigar. Check to see if your foot is completely and evenly lit. Repeat the process until you are satisfied. It usually takes a little longer than you would expect.

As the old man says in the old joke, when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, my boy, practice!" :yes:

sogon

El Capitan
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
#1 - You get used to using a torch in bright daylight by listening to the sound rather than trying to see the flame.

#2 - A triple flame will probably light it faster, but not necessarily any more evenly.

#3 - Soft flames work fine indoors, but not very well outdoors. Stick with the torch, at least when you go outside.

#4 - Hold the torch at about a 45-degree angle to the foot and rotate the cigar so that the foot gets warmed pretty evenly. Some people like to keep that going to the point where the foot is actually completely glowing without even puffing. Then put the cigar in your mouth, hold the flame below the foot, and start puffing while rotating the cigar. Check to see if your foot is completely and evenly lit. Repeat the process until you are satisfied. It usually takes a little longer than you would expect.

As the old man says in the old joke, when asked how to get to Carnegie Hall, "Practice, my boy, practice!" :yes:
Thanks. Based on the sound coming out it seems as a LARGE amount of gas is being discharged. I'm assuming that you can only like maybe 10 or 12 cigars between refills. My lighter holds about 1.2 grams, however as I said I have no way of really telling if its full. The thing I always liked about a standard bic lighter is that they basically last forever. And if they finally die, you can pic up a new one anyware. Quite some time ago when I smoked cigarattes I carried a zippo, which also required constant refilling, is this somethng that is required on all refillable lighters?

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Thanks. Based on the sound coming out it seems as a LARGE amount of gas is being discharged. I'm assuming that you can only like maybe 10 or 12 cigars between refills. My lighter holds about 1.2 grams, however as I said I have no way of really telling if its full. The thing I always liked about a standard bic lighter is that they basically last forever. And if they finally die, you can pic up a new one anyware. Quite some time ago when I smoked cigarattes I carried a zippo, which also required constant refilling, is this somethng that is required on all refillable lighters?
1. As to the size of the flame, light it indoors, where you can see the height, and adjust it to the size you want.

2. As to telling when it's full, it's pretty easy. It will start to backspray at you when are filling it, and there is no more room in the tank.

3. As to capacity, I don't have one of those Rhinos, so I can't tell how comparatively big or small the tank is. You do have to refill butane torches fairly often, but generally not as often as you have to refuel the traditional lighter-fluid Zippos. There is a LOT of variation in tank size among butane torches. 10-12 sticks sounds like a decent-sized tank, but I never really kept track.

4. Tips: 1) If you want a BIG tank and one where you can see the fuel supply clearly, buy a Blazer PB-207 or CG-001 (same lighter as the PB-207, but inside a plastic case to make it more rugged). 2) When it's time to refuel any torch, put both the tank of butane and the lighter in your freezer for 15-30 minutes before fueling. Make sure that you turn the flame control on your lighter to the minimum setting before putting it in the freezer. Take them out of the freezer after 15-30 minutes and refuel as normal. The fuel will be liquid, and it will fill the lighter more completely than when it is in a gaseous state. Make sure the lighter has completely warmed up to room temperature before you attempt to light it!!!!

Torches are a bit of a PITA, and it takes a little while to get used to the required care and feeding. Make sure you use only butane that has been at least 3X refined, preferably 5X, like Lava, Blazer, Vector or DuPont. Avoid Colibri, Ronson and cheap fuels at all costs! From time to time use a can of compressed air to clean out the burner assembly. BTW, I always carry a small Bic as a back-up, just in case I run out of fuel in my torch...

I hope this helps.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
1. As to the size of the flame, light it indoors, where you can see the height, and adjust it to the size you want.

2. As to telling when it's full, it's pretty easy. It will start to backspray at you when are filling it, and there is no more room in the tank.

3. As to capacity, I don't have one of those Rhinos, so I can't tell how comparatively big or small the tank is. You do have to refill butane torches fairly often, but generally not as often as you have to refuel the traditional lighter-fluid Zippos. There is a LOT of variation in tank size among butane torches. 10-12 sticks sounds like a decent-sized tank, but I never really kept track.

4. Tips: 1) If you want a BIG tank and one where you can see the fuel supply clearly, buy a Blazer PB-207 or CG-001 (same lighter as the PB-207, but inside a plastic case to make it more rugged). 2) When it's time to refuel any torch, put both the tank of butane and the lighter in your freezer for 15-30 minutes before fueling. Make sure that you turn the flame control on your lighter to the minimum setting before putting it in the freezer. Take them out of the freezer after 15-30 minutes and refuel as normal. The fuel will be liquid, and it will fill the lighter more completely than when it is in a gaseous state. Make sure the lighter has completely warmed up to room temperature before you attempt to light it!!!!

Torches are a bit of a PITA, and it takes a little while to get used to the required care and feeding. Make sure you use only butane that has been at least 3X refined, preferably 5X, like Lava, Blazer, Vector or DuPont. Avoid Colibri, Ronson and cheap fuels at all costs! From time to time use a can of compressed air to clean out the burner assembly. BTW, I always carry a small Bic as a back-up, just in case I run out of fuel in my torch...

I hope this helps.
Very good information. Do not forget to purge your lighter when re-filling. Use a pointed instrument and let the excess air out. This allows the lighter to fill properly with fuel. I used to run out all the timetill I started doing this. 2 cents.