What's new

Proper Resting Methods Q

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Being that I don't have a copy of the book that's all the rage right now by MRN, I have a question on proper ageing technique. I have boxes and singles that I don't plan on smoking for some time now and I'd like to avoid 'over-ripening' lets call it. I've got nothing but time to kill so I'd like to do this the right way. I've heard much about the idea of oxygen causing the process to accelerate so vaccuum sealing the cigars would be nice, but I have absolutely no way of doing this. If I just wrap Bags & boxes with Plastic wrap, will that be a poor mans way of sealing properly? Any opinions about this are appreciated plus, any suggestions of other ways to do this properly would be great. Thanks.
Cs

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
I guess I would ask how long you are planning on setting them down for. Why would you want to stop the aging process everyone else is trying to achieve?If you could manage to stop the aging process for ten years and then opened them up and smoked one it wouldn't be much different than when you sealed it. You would then be kicking yourself as soon as you realized you could have been smoking a 10 year old cigar. Which would you rather have new production or aged sticks? I guess my point is, experts have been aging them without sealing them forever and old ones command huge money for only one reason, most people believe they are better smokes. I have read several articles and threads with all kinds of scientific reasons for sealing but not one knew for sure what the end product would be like.
I'm sure not an expert on this subject however since you can't vaccum seal, it's kind of a moot point. I think you would be better served consentrating on the environment ie: Humidity, Temp and air circulation. As for plastic wrap sealing anything out, check out a sandwhich in plastic wrap after a week.

Jwrussell

April '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
105   0   0
Oneaday, I don't think he's trying to stop the aging process, just slow it down. From what I understand most agree that the best aging technique is one that ages slowly. Hence the vacuum sealing and such. I don't have MRN either, but from what everyone who does have it seems to be saying, he's a fan of aging cigars for quite a long time and he does it at a cool temp and wrapped somehow (thought someone said ziplocks, can't remember).

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I've got MRN and he doesn't go into how he stores/ages his cigars. What I can judge from his writings is that you should only store/age cigars as they are packaged from the manufacturer (e.g. in their original boxes w/cellophane or tubes or fivers, etc...) He is a stickler for not breaking (even one cigar) out of any box meant for aging. I have not read anything about which temp or humidity level he uses. I'd go with 65 to 70 F and 65% humidity. I would not place boxes or singles in Ziplocs (even though I do have some in Ziplocs) to age. He does say in the book that cigars that are "pushed" are destined to "expire". I wouldn't artificially "slow" the aging process (e.g. lower temp) either. It takes long enough as it is. Time is time. Trying to compress or contract time will get you in trouble.

Just my 2c. Have a healthy and happy holidays!!!

J

jckposter

Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Buckwheat said:
I've got MRN and he doesn't go into how he stores/ages his cigars. What I can judge from his writings is that you should only store/age cigars as they are packaged from the manufacturer (e.g. in their original boxes w/cellophane or tubes or fivers, etc...) He is a stickler for not breaking (even one cigar) out of any box meant for aging. I have not read anything about which temp or humidity level he uses. I'd go with 65 to 70 F and 65% humidity. I would not place boxes or singles in Ziplocs (even though I do have some in Ziplocs) to age. He does say in the book that cigars that are "pushed" are destined to "expire". I wouldn't artificially "slow" the aging process (e.g. lower temp) either. It takes long enough as it is. Time is time. Trying to compress or contract time will get you in trouble.

Just my 2c. Have a healthy and happy holidays!!!

I agree with this..just put them away...Humi & Temp is all I worry with..

Kurtdesign1

The Thinker
Rating - 100%
66   0   0
Jwrussell said:
Oneaday, I don't think he's trying to stop the aging process, just slow it down. From what I understand most agree that the best aging technique is one that ages slowly. Hence the vacuum sealing and such. I don't have MRN either, but from what everyone who does have it seems to be saying, he's a fan of aging cigars for quite a long time and he does it at a cool temp and wrapped somehow (thought someone said ziplocks, can't remember).
Exactly...
I basically am trying to figure out how to age the BEST. Hawkans post in regards to his Cohiba ELs from 01 inspired me to basically ask the best ways to achieve what he found. I just assumed MRN went into some detail about doing this. Thanks for the info.

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If want to age for the purpose of having great cigars to smoke for yourself, just put the boxes in a climate controlled environment, at approximately 65/65. Don't worry about sealing them tightly, just keeping the cigars in their box and not opening them will be sufficient.

Now, if you're looking to age for the purpose of investment and profit, then you have some important things to do; specifically you need to have the pedigree documented in detail, with origins, storage conditions, etc. You probably would be best advised to keep them at a professional establishment that monitors and logs their climatic conditions.

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Buy more of the cab's if you want to do longer term aging 6+ years the reg boxes age faster according to MRN if there loose they would be more smokable with in a few years but then they are more than likely to go bland over many years also temp and RH are creditacal also. I'm purchasing a nice Avallo unit because I to would like to see how good a cigar can be over many years of aging.