What's new

Punch cutter how-to?

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm used to cutting with a cheap double guillotine. I've had my eye on a Palio or Xikar XI2 (to drop the hint for my birthday). I've never had much experience with a punch cutter, save for these:

I had some RP vintage 90 second PCs (box pressed and small). My friend tried a punch on one, and it split like the Grand Canyon. After some reading, I discovered this was to be expected with both non-round and small cigars.

Now, I just got a new lighter, a Colibri Magnum with a built-in 8mm punch. I thought I'd try it out on a Gurkha X-Fuerte Churchill (round and certainly big enough). It cracked open like mad when I tried to cut into it. I was pissed! I applied slight pressure and rotated the punch as it buried into the cap, but the damn cigar split open and practically ruined my experience! I smoked it anyway, but the burn was weird. I kept getting the wrapper stuck to my lip, and sometimes the smoke seemed carburated... <sigh>

So, did I do something wrong? Was the cigar to blame? the cutter? Do punch cutters just suck altogether? What gives?

oneaday

2007 BoY
Rating - 100%
112   0   0
Assuming the cigar wasn't dried out, my guess would be you buried it to far. You only need to cut through the cap and be gentle. Kind of like nibblin on a nipple.

Electric Sheep

Dsicle - BoM Dec 06
Rating - 100%
58   0   0
To be honest, I'm not a big fan of punch cutters, but oneaday is correct...don't bury it to the hilt, just gently push it though the wrapper leaves. It also helps if you wet the cigar head in your mouth first.

I rarely -- if ever -- use a punch cutter anymore. Your plan of purchasing a Xikar or a Palio is a smart one; once you get one, you'll most likely stop using the punch cutter, too.

Halon

BoM August '07
Rating - 100%
74   0   0
If you like punch cutters then get the Atoll Eye. Best punch cutter you'll ever get. My B&M was showing them off a couple weeks ago (they had just gotten them in) and I was thoroughly impressed. Very cool design that literally eliminates the problem you just had.
It does have one problem, though. And that problem is $100 retail. But check it out, cause it's sweet.

TYLER

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I enjoy a punch cut on large ring gauge (over 54) that won't fit well into my palio. Make sure that you are turning the punch as you insert it. It seems to work better for me that way, without splitting the wrapper.

CWS

<b>Lead Moderator</b>
Staff member
Rating - 100%
227   0   0
Good responses. I usually have a punch on my key chain just in case. I think splitting is almost a fact of life unless the cigar is very moist. I wet the end well before cutting.

caudio51

BoM Nov '05; Mar '06
Rating - 96%
32   1   0
Yea, give the cigar a turn against your tongue to get it a bit moister. I've found it helps with the cracking.

vperlman

Harleyrider
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I use a punch only rarely (carry one on my keychain for "emergencies"). I twist it as I push through the cap, and don't usually have problems with splitting. FWIW, YMMV.

kirscovitch

Mad Matt
Rating - 100%
51   0   0
all good advice. use punch's only on larger ring gauge cigars and make sure to moisten the cap. twist the punch as mentioned and i usually squeeze the cigar around the cap to try to prevent splits.

N2Advnture

Loyal to a fault...
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Assuming the cigar wasn't dried out, my guess would be you buried it to far. You only need to cut through the cap and be gentle. Kind of like nibblin on a nipple.
I agree with Ken :thumbsup: (especially the "nibblin on a nipple" part)

~Mark

Gummi Bear

Righteously Indignant
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
I love my punch cutter, and I always use it first. I can always cut more, but you can't ever put some back kind of mentality.

I lick the cap, several times before cutting to get it nice and moist and soft, then you very gently twist the cutter. I haven't had a cigar split out on me in a long time with this method.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It may be the X-Fuerte, I had issues w/ 8 of the 12 I purchased. No matter how I cut (punch or cutter) they split at the cap, unravelled, split, etc...
Also,
I use a punch and have had the same experience (other than the x-fuerte), follow the tips above and it should not be an issue, it helped for me.

Boppa-Wasch

BoM March '07
Rating - 100%
65   0   0
I have used the punch on the Calibri Magnum I have a couple of time's and have not had an issue. Just don't try to dig out a crater.

cjazz

Hecho en USA
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I find when I use a punch cutter it is best to use only slight pressure while twisting it into the cap. Too fast or too much pressure is what causes the cracks. I have both The Xikar 007 twist punch and $5 Vector punch (from Cigarmony :grin:) that both work fine. Just don't rush it. You also don't need to push the blade in more than 1/8" or so. Same deal for the built in punches on lighters. (I've got one of those too.)

adodson

linux geek
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Okay, I used a little extra care, and successfully punch cut a Nepalese Warrior with the Colibri built-in punch. It was clean and easy with no splitting. The burn was great for the whole smoke.

I wet the cap (always do), twisted carefully, used less pressure, and cut only a shallow nip (hehe) out of the cap.

Thanks for all the advise.