What's new

Question for the Brotherhood...

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
One of my wife's nephews is turning 21 in March and he asked to spend it in Las Vegas (remember when YOU were asked where you wanted to spend YOU'RE 21st?)... anyhow, the whole famn damily will be there and I plan on giving him the opportunity to have his "first" cigar and scotch as an "adult". His father and I have enjoyed a few cigars together over the past decade or so, I'm sure it will not be a problem.

Here's the question: What would you suggest as a "first" cigar? I wouldn't want to go with a mac unless that is the most likely choice. It would have to be mild but flavorful and a relatively short smoke since I can't imagine him herfing for more than an hour at the most.

Just tryin' to pick the collective brains here. Any stories of similar situations? I'm really looking forward to the trip, but the planned herf will be the first "cool uncle" thing I get to do for Danny.

cvm4

BoM - July '05 & Dec. '10
Rating - 100%
197   0   0
ERDM Choix Supreme or JL#1 :thumbsup:

Looks like he'll have a good time! :smokingbo

smokem94

BoM Sept. 05
Rating - 100%
147   0   0
Roxborough Park CO, Soon to be Wapiti, Wyoming
I would recomend you take him to the Casa Fuente in the Forum Shops at Ceasars Palace. Get him a Fuente Hemingway Short Story and sit at the bar and have a Mojito......then buy a couple extra cigars and go to the Shadow Bar at Ceasars to lite up and have a cocktail. He can watch women dance nude behind a screen as well as watch lady's of the evening propositioning guys at the bar.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
That's interesting, I have a box of the Choix in transit as we "speak"! Don't think the wife is too pleased, and I doubt that his Mom will be all giddy about it either. But "what happens in Vegas......" I'm sure we'll have a great time. I'm kinda hopin' that my wife (she herfed for about a year) joins us. With any luck, we'll have a family herf!

Rating - 90%
11   1   0
If you don't mind spending some bucks on a smoke, and want a domestic, try the fuente diamond crown! Great mild-med smoke with lots of flavors for an intro smoke! Specially the figurado size. If he has not smoked any cigars or very few, ISOM may not be the best idea to start with. Even the mellow cuban can be strong in the nicotene!

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
The Butera is a good idea. I did wonder whether a habanos would be a wise choice. The Hemi SS is a good suggestion too; flavorful, short, and if he needs to bail on it, he won't feel as though he's failed. The DC is a good smoke, but he may be a bit intimidated by the 54 ring. I was thinking something in the neighborhood of 46 or so.

I imagine Casa Fuente will be a stop with or without company! :yes:

Any other must visit shops?

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
Habanos: Epi #1 / #2, Monte #2, RyJ Belicoso

N/C: Ashton, Padilla, Dunhill

Scotch: Glennlivet, Dalwhinnie

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
djs134 said:
I thought I might take it easy on him in the scotch arena... glenmorangie 10 yr.
That's good also. The glennlivet 18 is much much smoother than the 12 and not a lot more money usually.

If you want to see him turn green try Lagavulin or Laphroig and maybe a nice LGC Serie R #6:bottle: :smokingbo :barf:

tubaman

3 Time BoM
Rating - 100%
173   0   0
If you want a mild Dominican cigar, you can't go wrong with and AVO!! Outstanding cigar with lots of FLAVOR, but not strong. Their Maduro is outstanding.

I don't think the Choix Supreme is a bad choice however!!

RyJ Cazadore is definately out of the question!!

tobby4

June '05 BoM
Rating - 100%
57   0   0
I agree with the Choix as well.... good and smooth.... I think that might have actually been my first cuban....

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
A good consistent mild cigar- CAO Gold. The first box I purchased.

Scotch- there's always Johnnie Walker- Black, Green, Gold, and Blue. Start with the Blue and work to the black and then back to the Blue. Make it a night he'll never remember.

djs134

BoM May '06
Rating - 100%
66   0   1
geckoheart said:
Scotch- there's always Johnnie Walker- Black, Green, Gold, and Blue. Start with the Blue and work to the black and then back to the Blue. Make it a night he'll never remember.
:devilhead :bottle: :smokingco :grin:

geoffrie

Pappa Smurf
Rating - 100%
18   0   0
badhangover said:
May I suggest Caol Ila, 12 or 18 year?

:grinFU:
One of my favorite Islays, as a matter of fact I had a glass of the 12 tonight.

But it's a wee bit peaty ...and for a novice it could be overpowering. The 18 is a little to much for me.