What's new

Question on duties and taxes on NC's

Thebutcher

testing testing.....is this thing on?
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I got an email from one of my "over seas supplier" and they had some NC's on sale at a much lower price then Famous here in the states.I only use Famous for an example there fairly competitive I didn't shop around

Alec Bradley Black Market box of 22 Gordo for $125.00

Famous has the same size and quantity(Box of 22) for194.99 and that's showing a 10% discount

That's $70 dollars difference, it's not just a few bucks .So is all this just taxes and duties?? supply and demand???
someone school me on this :unsure: or am I missing something

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To note famous already has 20% of using code 20offups for orders over $125

So the difference isn't that much

I didn't shop it around but almost always there is a better deal locally.

Thats a vary good point, I was just shocked by the difference in retail price and like you said local deals are usually always better so i kinda assumed taxes or other charges to US customers

Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I'm sure duties and taxes on imports play a role in pricing, "see Canada" but there are so many other things that go into pricing a product. Cigars tend to be more expensive in the US during the spring and summer, I assume because all the snowbounds start smoking more when it warms up. Wholesalers and manufacturers run specials to move stock, require resellers to buy stuff they don't want to get the stuff they do want. Companies build market share by cutting prices and offering deep discounts.

So many things go into what you pay for cigars. My state collects sales tax on etail, almost 10%. It won't be long before they start collecting sin taxes on the same cigars. Offshore retailers will be able to avoid these taxes for a while, especially on small shipments.

Apparently you have a relationship with the shop that sent you the sale, $70 is a lot of cush so I'd take advantage of it.

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Let’s not forget the costs associated with being in business - overhead expenses are typically higher in the US than they are in many other parts of the world. May or may not be making much of a difference here but it’s probably part of the equation

Nacho Daddy

Irrepressibly Irreverent Inveterate Ignominy
Rating - 100%
121   0   0
lower markup with less demand equals better price.

the overseas vendors are ok with a smaller margin. I have bought there many times.

Thebutcher

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lower markup with less demand equals better price.

the overseas vendors are ok with a smaller margin. I have bought there many times.

that makes a lot of sense I'm just used to price competition in the US. most consumer products are close to the same price(within reason there are always a few crazy prices and sale)