What's new

R/C flying anyone?

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I'm a huge fan of RC flying. Any of you other brothers? I know Jamie @multi-useless is into warbirds. I fly electric planes exclusively -- nice and quiet, so they can be flown at the local park without people complaining. Plus there's no obnoxious, slimy glo-fuel residue to clean up afterwards. Sitting here right now for the second brilliant day in a row, burning a stick between flights. The plane pictured here clocked 107 in level flight yesterday. Not quite my fastest run (126), but still enough to get my aging ticker beating pretty fast. Earlier I flew a ducted fan Stinger (no propeller) that handles like it's on rails. This hobby is great fun...if you fly RC, post your pics and experience here!

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
The warbirds are sexy! I'm not much of a pilot though; I've only pulled off 1 great landing so far, with a Hobbyzone Super Cub. Need more practice.
Practice is everything. If you don't like the whole "fly, crash, fix, repeat" thing, try the sim below. That's how I taught myself to fly. Costs about as much as a nice plane...
http://www.realflight.com

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
All gas powered prop planes. I have a Sukoi (not sure model) and two standard planes. 1 was my first, a training style with wings in slight v shape and the other is alot bigger and faster but still a style with wings on top.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Took the Super Cub out after work today, first time in quite a while. Stats for the day - 1 crash, 1 upside-down landing, and 1 "very-rough-but-I-still-landed-it" landing where I managed to avoid a tree, then a parked car, then myself. That last one was pretty epic; here she is:
roughlandingsuccess.JPG

Damage for the day was limited to a busted wing strap (see above) and a busted cowl (see below)

grassynose.JPG

Not my best RC flying day, but not my worst either - this is about average for me. I'm blaming the wind.

Rating - 100%
16   0   0
I don't fly bit have always wanted to. My father in law has started building planes with inductive fan electric jet motors as well as push pull props. I think this building process is genius and take away all of the fear of crashing. You got a sharp blade, foam board, and a glue gun you are good to go! Just crazy....

http://flitetest.com

http://flywire.build/#/

Rating - 100%
56   0   0
I don't fly bit have always wanted to. My father in law has started building planes with inductive fan electric jet motors as well as push pull props. I think this building process is genius and take away all of the fear of crashing. You got a sharp blade, foam board, and a glue gun you are good to go! Just crazy....

http://flitetest.com

http://flywire.build/#/
Flitetest is awesome! I do some ducted fan flying / crashing myself. Totally fun!

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
I don't fly bit have always wanted to.
Don't wait any longer...
I agree - just do it, bro. It's intimidating to jump in if you have no idea what you're doing, but at the same time it's a real adrenaline rush - especially the first times that you pull moves to keep it in the air when it looks like all is lost, or when you "kinda crash but kinda land at the same time and you didn't really break anything, and it's close to what you were hoping for so you blame the wind and call it a success."

Rating - 100%
62   0   0
Winds have been calm and time has allowed, so I've been flying more lately than I ever did in the past. Looks like I'm starting to get a good grip on things, so I'll share some noob insights for anyone who's on the fence, or still a noob at this like me.

This morning marked my 2nd trip in 3 days to USDL Field - that's UpSide Down Landing Field, which is what I've started calling the field down the road where I've been flying. It seems that my landing gear is catching the tall-cut grass every time I touch down, and flipping her over. On the plus side, the grass adds cushion, so I've yet to cause any damage from flipping her.

I've learned that with the Super Cub, flying in low wind seems to make all the difference between easy flying and struggling to keep it level. Anything over wind speed called out in the manual, and it's not pretty.

I took my kiddo out with me the other day - had 1 pretty smooth flight, then she wanted to fly it - OK, it needs some parts replaced anyway, so let's have some fun! Besides, it's a toy - how could I take her out to watch me, and not let her play with it too? I let her take off on her own from the parking lot, she put it in the air by herself, then I came in to "help" by standing behind her and reaching down to guide her hands on the controls when disaster was imminent. Which was most of the time once it was in the air... and it was a pretty wild flight pattern, lol... After a couple minutes we put it down safely in some weeds. She tried a couple more times with pretty bad results, never really got it up in the air like she did the first time... and finally destroyed the cowl that was already cracked at the start of the day. It's her first RC plane crash souvenir now. But, worst damage of the day was from MY otherwise smooth flight, where I bent a plastic piece on the bottom of the fuselage because I landed in a bad place. The moral of the story is - you're going to break stuff, so let your kids play with it too. Just don't let them put it in the trees or anything, and do it when it already needs repairs anyways.

I think I'll be adding to the collection soon. Probably gonna buld a Zagi per @ZippoGeek 's suggestion, and the Parkzone Night Vapor looks like fun too...

Last edited: