What's new

? re: age of boxes bought online

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After someone asked about cigars "aging out" I checked a few boxes I've picked up from some of the online retailers; seems I've been getting boxes up to 6 and even 7 years old where I can find a date. I have only received one box that old, most are from 2012 when there is a date on the box. Anyone else getting similar stuff? I figure if they've been sitting around for two years already, there's really no need to wait...

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
FWIW NC cigars usually "age out" depending on marca, and palate. i have had old leon jiminez (like over fifteen years) that were f#@king FABULOUS! old ass fuente and padron the same. and have had mac's that aged out after eight years. usually stronger cigars fare better, 9 times out of ten... usually.

what line(s) are you talking about? might help us narrow it down...

Rating - 100%
48   0   0
I posted that thread about aging out. Recently I've smoked a 5 Vegas 'A' from 2006, a Camacho Select from 2007. I still have quite a few older smokes. They all seem to be finer than frog hair

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry, I can see how hat I wrote was unclear. I have received one box from '05, one from '09, and one from '12 (partagas cifuentes) in the last month. hope that clears it up. I was mostly just curious if getting older boxes from online retailers is par for the course.

javajunkie

BoM July '12
Rating - 100%
343   0   0
sorry, I can see how hat I wrote was unclear. I have received one box from '05, one from '09, and one from '12 (partagas cifuentes) in the last month. hope that clears it up. I was mostly just curious if getting older boxes from online retailers is par for the course.
partagas. got it. the actual marca (brand) was the missing info.

IMO the NC partagas has been flagging for years, sales wise. dependent on which line you were looking at, some could be older than others. but, honestly, WORST case scenario, you are talking about old yellow box (original NC partagas): while cameroon wrappers get MORE fragile with time, they do well up to (and sometimes past) a decade, in regard to flavor.

more importantly: how do YOU think they smoke? and do YOU feel they were worth what you paid?

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
There's no magic formula for age. Some people like certain cigars fresh and other prefer age. Open the boxes, smoke a cigar or two and if they seem to strong or muddled flavors let them rest a few months and try again and see what you think. Ultimately you are the one who is going to decide what age you like your cigars. People can give you a general opinion on what they think, but that is based on their own experience usually.

Hoshneer

Drew Estate NotRex
Rating - 100%
96   0   0
There's no magic formula for age. Some people like certain cigars fresh and other prefer age. Open the boxes, smoke a cigar or two and if they seem to strong or muddled flavors let them rest a few months and try again and see what you think. Ultimately you are the one who is going to decide what age you like your cigars. People can give you a general opinion on what they think, but that is based on their own experience usually.
This is the truth. Like how everyone I know loves aged Anejo but I prefer them fresh. Every single person is different.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well, I liked 'em enough to pick up a couple more boxes...

Really, I was mostly curious if other guys were getting older boxes from the online retailers like I had. If Partagas (nc) has been flagging in recent years it makes sense I would have gotten some older boxes. Also I was glad someone else had to put up with looking at the full boxes sitting on the shelf not getting smoked for years on end :ccool:

Cigary43

Just Another Ashhole
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Sometimes we get lucky with Vendors and what they have in stock so when they pull an order you get what you get unless one is specific as to finding the older boxes. As was said we cigar smokers are a curious lot in that some love ROTT while others like well rested or age ones. It's all in the experience we have with specific cigars. For me one of my favorite things to do is visit Cigar Stores who employ a full or part time roller and buy a few of them..one to smoke there and the others to smoke within the week. Some of the best experiences I've had.

StogieNinja

Derek | BoM June 2014
Rating - 100%
223   0   0
Yep, it's a crap shoot, depending on what that vendor has in stock. Very few NC makers date their boxes which is frustrating to me, but it's par for the course outside of Cuba. Tatuaje is one of the few that does stamp.

As for how they taste, that's in the mouth of the beholder. I prefer my Liga Privada No. 9's and Dirty Rats fresh. Others prefer them aged a year or two to mellow out. Whereas with most CCs, I prefer mine aged to mellow, and some prefer that fresh kick.

Craig Mac

BoM 4/10 7/11 12/14
Rating - 100%
446   0   0
As for how they taste, that's in the mouth of the beholder. I prefer my Liga Privada No. 9's and Dirty Rats fresh. Others prefer them aged a year or two to mellow out.
Case in point right there, I'd rather have an old #9 or Dirty Rat once the "mouth punch" settles. I know I am one of the few with that opinion, but it's my preference. I waited 3 years to pull a box of Dirty Rats and have no intention on cracking the seal for many years.