What's new

Re-lighting Habanos

mike toro

neophyte Bolivar acolyte
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
For unknown reasons, I keep having to re-light my habanos. Yesterday I sparked a Monte #2 three times to keep the last 1/3 alive before giving up :smt119 This doesn't seem to happen with my NCs which are kept in the same wine-cella'dor.

The temp is a constant 68. The RH on the top self is 68% and 63% on the bottom shelf. The habanos sit on the middle shelf. Any suggestions? I'm waiting on another pound of 65% beads that I'm hoping will even out the RH throughout.

Thanks,
:smt028

Rating - 100%
206   0   0
I had the same problems last week with a Trinidad Reyes ... burned fine at first and then went south the second half. I attributed this to my smoking environment ... outdoors @ 80% humidity.

owljones

habanoholics anonymous
Rating - 100%
31   0   0
tedski said:
I had the same problems last week with a Trinidad Reyes ... burned fine at first and then went south the second half. I attributed this to my smoking environment ... outdoors @ 80% humidity.

same here. usually happens when the window is open and it's wet out.

DocRKS

Herf Doctor
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
With all of those re-lights, I hope you are PURGING the stick (blowing out through the cigar with a flame applied). This burns off a lot of the gasses, tars and goo that collects when your stick is being smoked and dies out - plus it makes a lot of pretty colors !!!!
Then - AFTER PURGING the cigar - go about and re-light it - I bet it will stay lit a lot better for you as well as smoke cooler and nicer.

mike toro

neophyte Bolivar acolyte
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
tedski said:
I was smoking on the back deck (covered) while it drizzled outside. I wouldn't think they could soak up enough humidity that fast to effect the burn :smt102

GuyMcBeerdrinker said:
what's the year on the monte no. 2s. could they be coated with the dreaded fireproof wrapper?
2004 . . . what's the fireproof wrapper?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
mike toro said:
2004 . . . what's the fireproof wrapper?
Fireproof wrapper= H2000 wrapper when it was first introduced and until they've got it right (still debatable if they ever did ha ha).. years to look out for are 1999 - 2001 years that are famours for having these wrappers on some more common marquees.. my theory is that not all the H2000 leafs were fireproof.. ..the thinner the leaf.. the more likely to burn.. consequently.. some cigars from -99 burned quite well and some didn't depending on how thick the leaf that particular cigar was rolled in.

Some marquees were not effected badly at all either which to me indicates that it is the "wrapper seconds" that had to be used by the more popular marquee's to fill the orders from habanos Sa that were effected.... so in essence.. the more common cigar (monte 4/2...ryj no 2 etc).. the more chance you have of finding one that refuses to burn from these years....the less common.. the more likely it was that they didn't have to use the second selection of the wrapper leafs to fill their orders....

this is highly speculative of course.... but to me explains why one box of monte 4 from late-99 refuse to burn and another one that is a bit later (after the next batch of tobacco came into rotation... burns quite well...)

I am not talking construction issues in terms of what the torcador can influence with tight rolls etc.. just the ability to burn at all..

mike toro

neophyte Bolivar acolyte
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Embers said:
I purged it a few minutes ago and I thought I was going to light my coffee table on fire, must have been 4 or 5 inch flame.
Gotta love that. The best is doing it outside at night in a crowd of non-smokers :smt064