What's new

really want to try a pipe

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so I have a few questions, I know to start with a cob but do pipe get worn out? Also how much does the shape of the pipe make in the smoke like a longer pipe give cooler smoke then a shorter pipe?

Rating - 100%
18   0   0
so I have a few questions, I know to start with a cob but do pipe get worn out? Also how much does the shape of the pipe make in the smoke like a longer pipe give cooler smoke then a shorter pipe?
I’m still fairly new to pipe smoking myself, but I would say as long as you take care of your pipes properly they should out last me or you. I would also say that yeah, a longer pipe such as a Churchwarden would give a cooler smoke versus say a nose warmer. The main way, in my limited expensive, to control the temperature of your smoke from a pipe would be how often and how hard you puff on it. I’m sure more experienced pipers will chime in with better knowledge than me.

Jody

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Yes, I've heard and seen some cob pipes get "burnt out" but some proper care and maintenance should last you a lifetime with care. I've read some beeswax helps coat the outside of a cob bowl too. But, like Jody said too, I think it's more so how "hard" you puff on the pipe to make the pipe hot or cold. Some tobaccos will burn hotter or cooler than others plus the way your bowl is packed and temperature in the area you're smoking etc. The shape of the pipe I don't think matters at all.

Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Shape of pipe matters not a bit. A bent pipe will possibly pool at the bottom of the bowl and "gurgle," maybe even "steam" your tongue. The width of the bowl may cause a pipe to some with more flavor, while I wider bowl may smoke a bit slower. And yes, a longer stemmed pipe will smoke cooler as the smoke will go a later distance and possibly it might be cooled by the time it gets to your mouth.
As for how long a pipe will last, a cob should last a while, but a briar will last longer with less care.

Hope that helps!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a stem crack on a couple of pipes. You just replace the stem as long as you can find the right stem to fit. One was easy the other one had an uncommon filter so it took some tracking down to find a replacement stem.

Rating - 100%
12   0   0
A cob will last quite a while, and even you break it or something they can be had for just a few dollars. I also prefer the flavor of pipe smoke over cigars, it is generally lighter.