What's new

Recommendations for some baccy

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm not necessarily looking for something that taste like cigars, what I meant was a full flavor. Couple of the tobaccos I've tried so far have been pretty mild, lacking in the flavor department.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Thanks guys. I'm not necessarily looking for something that taste like cigars, what I meant was a full flavor. Couple of the tobaccos I've tried so far have been pretty mild, lacking in the flavor department.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk
As a basis for comparison, what have you tried so far?

Rating - 100%
46   0   0
Rating - 100%
29   0   0
Are these full bodied blends? It seems from what I've read the English blends are mild.
I'll say it depends on who smokes it. Like for me, they might be full bodied and for you they might be mild and not appealing to you. To each their own.

Your best bet, check out tobaccoreviews.com and see what others have said about blends that might intrigue you as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll say it depends on who smokes it. Like for me, they might be full bodied and for you they might be mild and not appealing to you. To each their own.

Your best bet, check out tobaccoreviews.com and see what others have said about blends that might intrigue you as well.

That site has been helping me as I'm new to pipe smoking but smoked cigars for a few decades. Unlike cigar reviews pipe tobacco reviews have been a bit closer to real world usage for me and has guided me through a few purchases. I have no complaints yet. And the people here- super helpful!!
Enjoy the journey!

MrZ

Rating - 100%
29   0   0
That site has been helping me as I'm new to pipe smoking but smoked cigars for a few decades. Unlike cigar reviews pipe tobacco reviews have been a bit closer to real world usage for me and has guided me through a few purchases. I have no complaints yet. And the people here- super helpful!!
Enjoy the journey!

MrZ
Check out the "what's in your bowl" thread too and see what others are enjoying. Don't be afraid to ask questions!

OleVaSmoker

Leafman
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Dunno about you guys, but C&D haunted bookshop makes me pass out after smoking a bowl of it.

You could try GL Pease Gaslight, so much latikia :)
I enjoyed this one as well.

And the what is in your pipe today thread is a great way to see what's popular amongst many seasoned smokers. One of the great benefits of signing up here for me was to be able to read and dig in to a lot of great insight it would have taken me years to figure out on my own. For those things I am grateful and humbled that it saved me time and money finding things I really like to smoke as my orders come in and I test new tobaccos and experience flavors I never imagined. Now I know why many smoke a pipe. Still love a good cigar but no harm letting them age a bit.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
ak2000, Please read this knowing that I come from about 37 years enjoying both pipes and cigars.
I think you are going to be disappointed if you are looking for something in a pipe tobacco that will be as full flavored as a cigar.
Why, you ask?
Know this, a cigar produces quite a bit more smoke than a pipe does, that is just by nature the difference from pipe and cigar. Part of that is the tobaccos used, part of that is the design of a pipe versus the design of a cigar, and the simple physics of how much oxygen gets to the burning ember (cherry of the pipe or cigar).

There are a couple things you can do to get "more full flavor" out of a pipe than you have gotten from it so far.
First, your expectations. A cigar is smoked, the flavors are right there, out in the open. A pipe however is meant to be "sipped" while smoking, it is the subtle flavors that are present which make a pipe so enjoyable.

Now, having said all that, I will direct you to some "fuller flavored/higher nicotine" pipe tobaccos. There have been some already named, but if you want to get down to some of the fullest-bodied, with an incredible nicotine hit, then consider the following ideas. Gawith & Hoggarth makes some very strong/full bodied tobaccos: Black Irish X Twist, Brown Irish X Twist, Brown Bogi (or Happy Bogies), Dark Birdseye, and Louisiana Flake.

Samuel Gawith also makes some decently strong tobaccos: 1792, Best Brown, Black XX, Full Virginia Flake, St. James Flake.

Hope this helps!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

Rating - 100%
84   0   0
This is a hard question because every palate is different and it's hard to really know what a piper is asking for in relation to "body", "fullness" etc. With me, for example, none of the English above suit me because I don't care for Latakia blends but many use them as full or body when, in fact, VA and VA/Per blends can be much fuller than any English.
I recommend for full/stout: any of the ropes by SG (Brown No. 4 is great) or GH (Brown Bogie is great as is Sweet Maple Twist ---not an aro like you might think), SG Lakeland Dark. My favorite for a full body is Stirling Flake- not like a cigar but close in fullness and deep body.